How to videos

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

How to videos

Postby chevy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:00 pm

Trying to learn the art of taxidermy, does anyone have any how to
videos on taxidermy for birds that they are just sitting
around and not being used that they are willing to pass along to the newbies?

Thought I'd ask
Thanks
chevy
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby mdgooseman » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:22 pm

if you go to www.goosestuffers.com they have a book and a dvd. i ordered mine from them and it really helps.they also have the materials
mdgooseman
hunter

Postby CHAMP7 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:38 pm

Do any of you guys have video in mind that you think is the best waterfowl taxidermy out there. I am looking to buy some, I have heard that STEFAN SAVIDES and FRANK NEWMYER were really good. Anybody vouch for these or have better knowledge of something?
CHAMP7
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:53 am

I personally was no taught to do birds from a video, but I have heard great things from Savides videos.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

videos

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:28 pm

WASCO also has all the videos you need.
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby CHAMP7 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:08 pm

I just ordered 2 videos from WASCO. I ordered the sitting Wood Duck and Flying Blue Wing Teal DVD's that were recorded in the Studios instead of ordering the ones that were recorded at seminars. I talked with alot of people on different forums that suggested this because of the more detailed, lighting and close-up during instruction. Have any of you ever watched these?
C. Champion
CHAMP7
hunter

yup

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:35 am

Yup, watched em both along with the snow goose and others when I first started some years ago. Those vidoes and the taxidermy forum proved invaluable! Suggest you sit there with pen and paper and take notes of all the stuff you're going to need to order. They'll cover all that well. But first you'll need to build an addition onto your house for all the stuff you're getting ready to buy! :rofl:

It's like most things, you'll have to actually "do it" to learn it. :thumbsup: The more you do the better you'll get. Don't expect much for your first couple until you work out the kinks and get in a routine. The most important part is the fleshing. You can do a great job on everything else but if there's fat left on it you be throwing it away down the road.

Buy (or make) a fleshing wheel. I tried making one out of a drill but ended up buying the fleshing wheel from WASCO. I'm glad I did. Doing it with scissors is hard to get it all, and IT WILL SMELL LATER! :stouff:

Recommend you buy the WASCO reference book as well for painting of the beaks & feet. It's proven extremely valuable to me. I'd also recommend buying an air brush for the painting. Get a lot of pictures for posing references. The internet has an unlimited supply.

Good luck.
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum