anyone have any extra drakes in the freezer?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

anyone have any extra drakes in the freezer?

Postby Wood-E » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:53 pm

I have shot, and mounted a few Eiders here in Maine, as I have done a few of them, I would like to try a different type of duck I haven't even hunted yet up here in Maine.
A drake anything that is colorful would be something I would be interested in, and of course I'd pay my own shipping, which I believe is quite legal.

PM me if you have any birds of interest.

Also, I might have a couple spare Eiders in the freezer. No trades, but I'd have to see what I have before offering for sure if you were interested.
Just the drakes everyone... Take Um...
Wood-E
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:45 pm

That's a nice offer Wood-E. I've hunted Eiders a few times, and they are a gorgeous bird.

Yes, paying for shipping is legal.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby eider hunter » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:03 pm

would you be interested in trading eiders for other drakes?
eider hunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:22 am

I read your profile, and find it a bit interesting that you call yourself a taxidermist. The reason I say this, is that you use the word trade when referring to Migratory Waterfowl. You really need to sit down and read your 50 CFR's. Unless you're not licensed Federally, then you may just be misinformed. Do yourself a favor and type in 50 CFR as a search, and look for section 20 "Migratory Birds". I don't want to see someone get their tit in a ringer, but Migratory birds are at the Federal level, and nothing to mess with, but in simple terms, you can't buy, sell barter or trade for that matter any wild migratory Waterfowl.

You need to ask if the offer is available from Wood-E, and stick to asking if people have any birds that they would be willing to gift. I also find it odd that you call yourself eider hunter, and are asking if Wood-E is willing to trade a couple Eiders for other drakes. I'd think that you'd be the one to have the Eiders to gift?

Please don't think I'm being some sort of jerk here. You'd rather here it from me than make a trade over the Internet only to find that it's Warden X on the other end wouldn't you?

Good luck on your birds,

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CHAMP7 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:26 pm

FEDS don't play.
CHAMP7
hunter

Postby DangleCity » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:01 pm

haha i was gonna offer you an eider but it seems you already have a few LOL
Whistlers on the deck!
DangleCity
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:28 pm

my buddy has about 8-9 mallard drakes from this season. we always kept the good ones and at the end picked him out the best one. how do u go about shipping the birds?
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby CHAMP7 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:22 am

I would like to know about the shipping to? I have never sent or recieved. I to am very new to taxidermy and have a few in the freezer but may need a little help with more birds and it would be great to know what I have to do to get them. I know you can't buy, trade a federal bird but how do you word the phrase of "I will be glad to pick up the charge of shipping if you would be so kind to gift me birds"? What is the OK "to the FEDS" way of arranging this?
Thanks for any help, advice and or knowledge on this matter. C.Champion

Sorry about hijacking your post Wood-E :sad:
CHAMP7
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:22 pm

Champ,

That is exactly what you say. "Looking for gifted birds for taxidermy. Of course, I will pay for shipping." You can word it as friendly as you want, but you can not be charged, nor pay for any handling or packaging fees, just the cost of shipping. You'd be surprised at how many people have ducks that may be uncommon for you that are as common for them, that would be willing to gift a bird or two for a taxidermy collection.

Here is the link to the Federal game laws regarding the particulars:

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te ... ain_02.tpl

I tried the link myself, but my Adobe Reader was malfunctioning, so good luck. I know it works, because I've referred to it many times in the past.

teamoutlaw,

Can you be more specific on what you are questioning? Are you asking how to ship a bird so it remains in good condition for taxidermy purposes, or are you asking how to ship it to make it legal? I've got an answer for both, you have to insulate the box pretty good, and ship it two-day maximum, and preferably in the winter months, and it has to be tagged with the hunters name, species of duck, where it was harvested, when it was harvested, the license number or the hunter who harvested the bird, and a signature, all tagged to the foot of the duck. If you want more specifics, please ask your question. Please look at the link I provided for Champ, and you'll find what you're looking for on the legalities if you are indeed inquiring about that.

-Pete

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jwhite » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:36 pm

believe i have some wood ducks from this year. and i know i have some pheasants that we killed on a old continental shoot back in december. i was going to use them for training the dogs but i'd be willing to send a couple to you guys and help y'all out. probably one or 2 per person. depends on how many i got and what you want.

pm me with questions.
Get your GREEN on!!--Echo team
jwhite
hunter

birds

Postby quackattack84 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:02 pm

I have a nice drake mallard 4 curl I will gift to anyone who wants it. I just cant afford to get it mounted so if someone can use it then let me know
quackattack84
hunter

Postby DomC » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:13 pm

I would be interested... I'll PM you.
DomC
hunter

Postby Wood-E » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:24 pm

I sent my eiders out so I'm out now. I am looking for a drake pintail sometime if anyone has one they don't want.
Just the drakes everyone... Take Um...
Wood-E
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum