Using the Real Head vs Buying one?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Using the Real Head vs Buying one?

Postby CHAMP7 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:37 pm

I am new to taxidermy and trying to learn as much as possible. So here's a question. You hear that if you use a manufactured skull/head you don't have to worry about the shrinking later. How much does this play into the process of determining which to use. For someone like me who is very new to all this, is it better for me to stick with the natural heads? In the long run, which is going to hold a better more detailed mount? Thanks guys, sorry for so many questions on one topic.
CHAMP7
hunter

Postby Wood-E » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:02 pm

First - I too am new and have only done about 5 ducks, so...

For what it's worth, my opinion was that using the natural head was the pro's joke on us novice's. They figured they had to suffer through the pain of cleaning and working a natural head, so all of us novice's have to too! :biggrin:

I did 3 ducks with natural heads. I did the last 2 using Eyes, Head, Neck and Mannikins I bought. The difference, atleast to me, was similar to crawling on my hands and knees from Atlantic to Pacific ocean -verse- Flying..... :hammer:

So even though many MUCH more knowledgable people will argue with me, my 1/4 of a cent is to go with technology. That's why it's there, so use it......

wood-e
Just the drakes everyone... Take Um...
Wood-E
hunter

Postby bird man » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:53 pm

I only use the real head if I can't find an articicial one. And then I may cast one from the real head. IMO they look better and are easier. You can paint the head before mounting and don't have to worry about getting paint off the feathers. I also take all my feet off when skinning. I inject and position and paint and then reattach when mounting. JM2 cents. I dont believe the ideal about saving a few bucks and trying to keep the prices so low you can't make any money. I believe in useing the best products and charging enough to where I can afford to spend the time to make it look like a duck. And something the customer can be proud of.
bird man
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:29 pm

What He said! Artificial.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

heads

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:01 pm

I use the real head. I'll order a wood duck drake only because I suck at painting them and creating the ring around the eyes. Most any other duck I can paint w/my air brush.

I like using the real head mostly because I know when I put it all back together it's going to fit. I had problems with artificial heads fitting some of my mounts a few years back when I first started.

The same duck will come in different sizes.

Just my two cents.
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

Postby firebird » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:44 pm

A dremel tool with a heavy sanding tip will shape those artificial heads to match or nearly so the real ones. Dremel the eye sockets out too, then measure your real head from nostril to front of eye socket to get the eye set right on your fake head. Thanks bird man on the feet, that gets overlooked alot but makes a huge difference. I started that way maybe 5 years ago and was amazed how much better it made my birds look.
There is no help for this kind of insanity. I'm just a duck hunter, and should not be held accountable for all my actions between October 1st and freeze-up. Gordon MacQuarrie
firebird
hunter

Postby bird man » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:56 pm

firebird wrote: Thanks bird man on the feet, that gets overlooked alot but makes a huge difference. I started that way maybe 5 years ago and was amazed how much better it made my birds look.

I was worried about it at first but once i did it it is well worth it. If it comes in my shop the feet comes off.
bird man
hunter

Postby CHAMP7 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:13 pm

Hey Birdman or Firebird,
When you detach the legs, do you do away with the bones or keep intact. Next question is after you get them injected and set ready to reatach, do you sew them and if so to what or just glue to leg rod.
thanks, clark
bird man wrote:
firebird wrote: Thanks bird man on the feet, that gets overlooked alot but makes a huge difference. I started that way maybe 5 years ago and was amazed how much better it made my birds look.

I was worried about it at first but once i did it it is well worth it. If it comes in my shop the feet comes off.
CHAMP7
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum