Mailing Waterfowl

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Mailing Waterfowl

Postby CHAMP7 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:17 am

If someone was to send me waterfowl, how does it need to be sent. Can you send it USPS or does it have to be UPS or FEDX. I know you want to pack it tightly while still very frozen and well insulated no more than 2nd day but better if it is next day. Can anyone else comment on any advice that would ensure the birds to arrive in the best shape possible. I have also heard that you have to tag them before sending, hunters name who harvested, date, species, am I leaving anything out?
CHAMP7
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:28 am

Champ7,

Here is the tag required by the Feds, but I may suggest you put as much info on the tag as possible. I would definitely put down the hunter's license number on the tag, just to prove that it was legal in the first place, and there is some traceability.

§ 20.40 Gift of migratory game birds.
No person may receive, possess, or give to another, any freshly killed migratory game birds as a gift, except at the personal abodes of the donor or donee, unless such birds have a tag attached, signed by the hunter who took the birds, stating such hunter's address, the total number and species of birds and the date such birds were taken.

§ 20.44 Marking package or container.
No person shall transport by the Postal Service or a common carrier migratory game birds unless the package or container in which such birds are transported has the name and address of the shipper and the consignee and an accurate statement of the numbers of each species of birds therein contained clearly and conspicuously marked on the outside thereof.

§ 20.39 Termination of possession.
Subject to all other requirements of this part, the possession of birds taken by any hunter shall be deemed to have ceased when such birds have been delivered by him to another person as a gift; or have been delivered by him to a post office, a common carrier, or a migratory bird preservation facility and consigned for transport by the Postal Service or a common carrier to some person other than the hunter.

There is the legal stuff. I suggest U.S, Postal Service. You can't insure the package because it is a duck, but they have never failed me in the past. So what you really need to do is Freeze the bird solid, double-wrap the bird, and ship it a well insulated box. It is best if shipped in a styrofoam cooler, but if you have the two zip codes, you can call USPS, and see if it can be delivered in one day, which will alleviate a lot of the insulating concerns. remove as much air pockets in the box by stuffing with newspaper, and this will act as a great insulator. of course shipping in the heat of the summer is something I would avoid. Sometimes they will say it SHOULD ship in one day, but we guarantee 2 or three. I would definitely pay the extra shipping cost and have it delivered asap. In other words Priority Shipping. The box should be lined on the inside as well with a garbage bag to prevent any kind of water leaking from the thaw that may occur. The box has to be marked with the bird on the outside of the box, per rule above. The foot has to be tagged per rule above, and lastly, the bird becomes part of your possession as soon as it arrives to your home, and as long as it is in your freezer, (even with the flesh removed, it still remains and counts against your possession limit. If it is a bird you don't shoot in your area, I would suggest keeping the tag in your possession even after it is mounted. I'm not sure if it is the law, but again, there must be some traceability.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.

-Pete

Hope this helps,

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CHAMP7 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:12 am

Thanks Pete, that's a big help. Appreciate you posting.
C.Champion
CHAMP7
hunter

Postby Wood-E » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:42 pm

I just wanted to share something with everyone I did recently due to shipping going WAY up now. :mad:

While we are all making the oil people rich on our back, I recently gifted 2 eiders from Maine to Kansas via UPS Ground and, according to the recepient, they arrived in fine condition.

I brought them to UPS on Monday, they arrived on Friday. I made sure they were frozen solid, then wrapped them up in bubble wrap. Put them into a plastic bag with 2 blue ice packs. Then I put the whole thing into a styrofoam cooler and because eiders are huge, I had to tape a second one on top of it. Then I wrapped the entire thing into a cardboard box to protect the cooler/ducks.

Sounds like a lot of work, and IT IS, but 2 eiders in shipping is 21lbs or $130 overnight or $90 - $100 2nd day. This was $30 total including the packaging.
So just wanted to share that there is a CHEAPER way to send gifted ducks rather than overnight. :thumbsup:

Wood-E
Just the drakes everyone... Take Um...
Wood-E
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:52 pm

Thanks for the post Wood-E. Let me warn you of what can and will happen using UPS ground. You ship on Monday, and the box doesn't make it to it's destination until The following Monday. Guess what? You'll only pay 30 dollars for shipping, but they will be ruined. You also have to realize that you shipped in the Winter, and would never get away with that in the Summer. I'm not busting your chops here, I'm just giving you a fair warning , and everyone else that reads your post the same. The same package shipped Priority with USPS would probably cost around 50 dollars, but would be guaranteed to it's destination in 1 day if near a busy City, and two day at the most any where else. For me it's worth the extra twenty or thirty dollars, and UPS really sucks versus USPS. I can tell you about a good number of bad dealings with UPS. Neither one will reimburse you if the package is spoiled, because it is a duck, but I have never had a problem with the good old U.S. MAIL.

By the way, you packaged the bird as well as you could, and for the most part, that bird would ship anywhere in three days and be fine, but just remember that the spring and summer are two different animals when it comes to a package arriving frozen versus green. Nothing stinks worse than a bird once it starts to spoil.

Another one of my two cents things here, but I am seriously speaking from experience, and I unfortunately learned the hard way, and I've heard many others who have as well! :thumbsdown:

What can Brown do for you? At times, destroy your package. :rofl:

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum