Glueing to Artificial Heads

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Glueing to Artificial Heads

Postby CHAMP7 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:09 pm

Can anyone give any advice on this. I have searched through the threads on here and can't find anything. I have 2 ducks ready to be mounted waiting on the mannikins and heads to get here. I have never tried to glue to the artificial heads, this will be my 1st. What size needle do I need to inject (distribute) the glue around where the skull meets the bill and around the sides of the skull and cap. Any advice to make it a smooth experience will be welcomed. thanks C.Champion
CHAMP7
hunter

glue

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:05 am

Use super glue gel and right out of the tube. The applicator is small enough to not over do the amount needed.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:23 pm

Yes, at the juncture where the feather meets the bill. I use Gel as well, and small amounts at a time. I like to do the chin, then the top notch, then one side followed by another. This will make the attachment as even as possible. You can use a needle. I'd use an insulin needle, and use very small amounts. You shouldn't need glue around the eye, because there will probably some epoxy here anyway, but a very small dab at the ear hole won't hurt. Make sure you have your feathers laying the direction you want before gluing, and very sharp tweezers help you attach at the juncture. The other thing to consider here is if the bird has a crest that you are displaying. if it does, you can lay a very thin bead of caulk on the scalp etc., and fluff the birds head while grooming (use caution with any open holes like pellet holes and ear holes and eye hole). This will allow the feather butts to dry in an erect position.

I would not recommend using glue to attach the head to the scalp (except at the bill), and caulk isn't even needed as well. although the caulk unlike glue will allow a bit more freedom to taxi the feathers where they belong, and allow quite a bit more dry-time. I have to tell you that these are all techniques that come with time, and I don't know if I'd jump right into the fire head first and try to perform every modern method on my first bird, and expect it to look perfect. Sometimes keeping it simple at first will keep your interest at a higher level. Above all have fun, take it slow, and don't get discouraged. If you have any quick questions while in the process, come here or go over to the other forum you're visiting, and you should get your question answered pretty quick. You can always walk away for a breather, just put your bird in the fridge for a while. :thumbsup:

-Pete

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Taxidermy Forum