Setting the Nap on a Hooded Merganser

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Setting the Nap on a Hooded Merganser

Postby CHAMP7 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:15 am

How do you guys set the Hood on a Hooded Merganser? I know they are many different ways from glueing to just plain carding but I have never attempted to do one and I just got one out of the freezer to make a shot at it. I have seached recent threads on here but couldn't find where it had ever been discussed. Any help will be appreciated, I would like to find a way that would work best for me. Thanks in advance.
CHAMP7
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:56 am

Probably many ways to do this, but I use a very light bead of caulk on the underside of the skin. I think it is imperative to flesh the scalp very well, so the feather butts are sticking out enough to set in the caulk. I never carded the hood, but just worked it forward (toward the bill) every once in a while till the feathers were set in a couple days.

Again, this is just the way I've done it. Try what ever works for you.

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Broozer5 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:20 am

I have never even mounted a bird, but am gonig to try my first today. I baught the Breakthrough Bird Taxidermy Manual, and in there they say that a LIGHT coat, or mist of hairspray can help. Not sure how it works or anything, but that is what it says in the book.
Im sure Pete-Pec knows what he is doing though.
You're still a sh*t Sandwich...Just not a soggy one.
Broozer5
hunter

my opinion, for what it's worth

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:32 pm

You've picked a tough bird to start with if it's your first attempt. IMO they are a hard bird to pull off. the nneck is very oversized and often have the elasticity of an old sock. The crest, like Pete said, can be tricky also. I use a bead of caulk injected over the top of the skull and then work with a blower to get things into place and again like was said it's imperative to get the skin cleaned well so the feather butts will adhere to the caulk.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Brydog » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:31 pm

I usually just work the feathers forward a few times a day until the skin sets up. I tried the caulk method on this one but didn't stay on top of it so it got a little crooked. Once the caulk is set, it's set.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Crest

Postby SGM-DKHNTR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:11 pm

Like Brydog said, just work the crest feathers over the first several days.

I also hang mine upside down during this period.
"I see dead birds flying"
SGM-DKHNTR
hunter

crests

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:23 am

If the feather butts are wheeled well they will adhere to the thin strip of caulk and be there forever. The caulk sets up slowly and allows time to taxi the crest into position. It's easy and keep the crest even and smooth.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby CHAMP7 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 am

That's some nice lookin habitat on the Merganser pair Waterfowler....
CHAMP7
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum