Duck Hunting Forum banner

Attaching a mount to driftwood

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Pete-pec 
#1 ·
Do most of you just bend the wire over on the back of the wood and use a staple gun? I just saw this on the U-mount it show on sportsman chanel he left the wire straight cut off flush with the back of the driftwood piece and used gorrilla glue in the hole. Anyone have any tricks out there?

#3 ·
I personally don't like my mount to wobble, so I like my wire to be recessed inside a groove at the back of the wood. I drill my hole just big enough for my wire, and then take an electric wood chisel and make a channel that the wire will sit into. I make the channel like three inches long coming down from the first hole, and then drill a second hole (not completely through the wood) at the bottom of the channel. Now I take my wire, and push it through the hole , bend it down, and cut it so it is a bit longer than the channel I have made, I bend it again, and shove the last bend back into the second hole I drilled. Hammer it into place, and the wire is flush, and not going anywhere. You can tack the top of the wire if desired with a small wood screw where the wire come through the first hole. I personally have done it both ways, but don't find it necessary. the other thing I do is take a wood drill bit and recess three holes in the back of the wood (in the shape of a cheap hanger) where I can set my hanger in the holes I have countered, screw these into place, and the hanger won't allow the mount to wobble either.

-Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.