New To Taxidermy: wire wheel alternative?

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

New To Taxidermy: wire wheel alternative?

Postby North Wind » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 am

Hi.
I am at the verge of mounting my first duck.
I have skinned a pintail drake and a widgeon drake for that. I skinned them without a single hole or cut into the skin which encouraged me to go ahead. But I have some questions and i will appreciate your inputs.
1) As I dont have a wire wheel can I proceed with a wire brush or anything else that you guys will recommend? I have read people using scissors, scrapers & tooth brush sized wire brushes for fat removal though.
2) How can I be sure that all fat is removed? I mean are there any special indicators to that?
3) What if I have skinned the bird and i cannot proceed immediately then how should I store the skin? currently my two bird skins that I mentioned above are in freezer (wrapped in plastic bags)
Regards.
North Wind
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: New To Taxidermy: wire wheel alternative?

Postby duxrus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:05 pm

You need a very sharp pair of scissors to get most the fat off before using a wire brush. Someone will have to share specifics on the type of brush because I just have never used one.

Once you have fleshed a bird you can freeze it wet but I suggest getting back to mounting it sooner than later. The skin tends to firm up the longer it is stored. I try to mount skinned birds within a month but sure you could wait longer. I now just wait to skin birds when I know I can get to them.

This is what I have found
duxrus
hunter

Postby duxrus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm

You need a very sharp pair of scissors to get most the fat off before using a wire brush. Someone will have to share specifics on the type of brush because I just have never used one.

Once you have fleshed a bird you can freeze it wet but I suggest getting back to mounting it sooner than later. The skin tends to firm up the longer it is stored. I try to mount skinned birds within a month but sure you could wait longer. I now just wait to skin birds when I know I can get to them.

This is what I have found
duxrus
hunter

Postby North Wind » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:48 pm

thanks for the reply.
North Wind
hunter

Postby North Wind » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:49 pm

I have cleaned wings upto the 2nd joint, also removed most of the fat but I shall give it a final trimming today. I am working in sections...It took me atleast 4 hours to remove major portions of fat with scissors and my fingers are killing me. Now I know why a Wirewheel flesher and above all PATIENCE is key to success.
North Wind
hunter

Postby North Wind » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:50 pm

I have also cleaned original head as artificial heads and other supplies are not available here. I was wondering that what should I use to fill the head as the 'modern' clay that you guys use is not available to me. Are there any old school methods to fill the head cavity and get the job done? Anything like silicone, epoxy, common clay or something better and easily available?
Thanks.
North Wind
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Check the tutorials. I am pretty sure a lot of your answers are already there with pictures
duxrus
hunter

Postby North Wind » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:58 am

Thank you.
I have figured almost everything except clay issue.
Can I use potters clay that is used by flowerpot/plantpot makers?
Regards
North Wind
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:50 pm

You want a clay that hardens by either a chemical reacrion(epoxy) or air. They have some 2 part plumbers clay that could possibly work if you can find it. I believe the pottery clay you are talling about is kiln dried if it air dries im pretty sure it will crack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Postby North Wind » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 am

I will check this plumber two part epoxy if I cant find it.
I have excess to transparent Silicone and magic epoxie(Two part epoxie) but they are difficult to mold i guess.
Is there a recipie to make desired molding clay at home?
best regards.
North Wind
hunter

Postby North Wind » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:59 pm

Can anybody guide me how to make clay at home for rebuilding original heads of ducks?
North Wind
hunter

Postby fowlweatherfowler » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm

Thats going to be somthing you have to research for your self. Have never heard of a homemade recipe for a air dry clay

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
fowlweatherfowler
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum