New Woodie

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

New Woodie

Postby Delta Hunter » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:16 pm

I finished this Woodie today.

Delta Hunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:20 pm

:eek: wow :eek:

Now that is one fine lookin bird :salude:

That is the one duck I shure wouldnt mind havin mounted :thumbsup:

-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby duckdog » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:50 pm

Man that is awesome!!! :thumbsup: If you don't mind me asking what is the going rate, to get a woody done. The reason I ask, is that I have a nice drake I would like to get done, not sure of a price though. A guy I work with told me $175.00. Thank's, and agin very nice job!
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Delta Hunter » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:14 pm

The going rate in my area is around $150
Delta Hunter
hunter

Postby duckdog » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:20 pm

Thanks' for the info !! Appreciate it
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:14 pm

Delta,
Are you using a Flex-Eye? I love the idea of an instant eye ring, but think that the plastic looks a bit like plastic. The photo isn't detailed enough to tell whether it is glass or plastic. Don't get me wrong, I still use the flex eye for the Woodie, but think I'm going to fab my own with apoxy in the future. Hard to beat a glass eye! Very nice looking Woodie. Do you cut your wing pocket to tuck your wings? The bird is anatomically correct in my opinion! Great job!
Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:39 pm

Pete my buddy uses the ready made eye ring on the Woodies he does. He gives them a lite overspray of red. It sure makes them look real. Takes that plastic look out of them. Just a suggestion. You might try it.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Delta Hunter » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi Pete-pec
Ahh flex eyes, No. I had a pair but I really don't like the way they look. I have seen way to many great looking Woodies that were beautiful except they looked like they had a plastic donut around the eyes. I will try to sculpt some later, but I don't have any material on hand right now. Thats exactly why the picture was not a close up. As for the wing pockets, they were cut out, but I think I will go a little larger on the next one. I still have a lot of room for improvement on eye rings and feet. Haven't exactly figured out how to inject the feet with wires running out the bottom. How do you do it?
Delta Hunter
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:13 pm

Excellent Job!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:29 pm

Delta,
Superglue, and Kick it. Run your wires, and superglue the Holes shut from the bottom side. Then inject them. The feet thing is new to me as well, and am learning as I'm going. I've been taking lot's of notes, and have 32 ducks of my own to complete, (all skinned, fleshed,cleaned and frozen,) so by the time I'm at the end of my bird collection, I should be a master at it. I'm just a hobbiest with a perfectionest way of looking at things. I know alot of people in the industry that do this for a living. Not me! There is no way I could make any money at this. I just want to make my birds right, and I'm my worst critic. I have learned alot over the past year alone, enough to teach my own class, but I still want to be the student, and only get better. I have a very small group of friends that are into bird collecting, and we are a bit eccentric. I think your birds look excellent, and you are definately a quality taxidermist! keep up the good work, and good luck with your endeavors. Let me know if you ever need a perticular specimen, and I may be able to help you with a gifted bird. PM me with your wishlist, and I'll see what I can do. I know some people are kind of funny about mounting another person's kill, but typically every taxidermist wants a larger display room, purely on the fact that ALL waterfowl looks pretty in it's own way. Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:37 pm

HuntMQ1,
That is a suggestion that I made to my friend who happens to be a full-time taxidermist. I'm just trying to fill the North American collection at the moment, and am not doing alot of repeat birds. I do have a Woodduck mounted, and have a couple more in the deep freeze, but mostly to help out a fellow collector. That is an excellent idea with painting the plastic eye ring, and will try it on my next bird. I thought about using the plastic eye ring in conjunction with a glass eye, and painting it would be the perfect idea. Thanks for the input. Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rustyshack69 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:04 pm

:salude: awesome job! i hope i get me a fine lookin drake woodie this year , if so he is goin on the wall next to my greenhead, if it turns out half that good i will be pleased. keep after em.
rustyshack69
Newb

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:25 am

Pretty awsome mount :eek:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum