Waterfowler's wall

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: Waterfowler's wall

Postby supremewaterfowler » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:00 pm

I have shot several leucistic species but never a true albino. Albino's are extremely rare and have only seen one in my life and, of course, it was out of season so I was out of luck. Leucistic birds are neat and much more common.
supremewaterfowler
Newb

Postby duxrus » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:08 pm

I am so jealous of anyone one with a nice waterfowl collection. I doubt most "collectors" have saved their birds for "bragging rights" at a later date. I would bet good money like myself they see a memory instead of a mounted bird. :thumbsup:

Pat, you forgot to mention that you did most of the taxidermy work yourself.....now that makes your collection stand out even more. :grooving:

Congrats to all you lucky you know whats for having such a successful waterfowling careers....I applaud you all. :clapping:
duxrus
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:59 am

First of all I'm not offended by anything said but appreciate your honesty and kind words. I view my collection not as an "I've got something you don't" but as a hall of memories. My best friend was killed in Nam, my mentor passed away a few years ago and I find solace looking at certain birds and remembering better times and good friends. I can tell you who I was with and which dog retrieved most every bird in my collection. I take great pride in that I mounted most of them and am equally proud of the fine World Calss taxidermists represented by some of the birds I killed that they mounted for me. Many of my two son's first are in my room and I celebrate their success by viewing them while remembering boots too big, clothes not fitting and runny noses as they struggled against the cold years ago. That's what it all about to me. When I set out to collect all of North America it wasn't for bragging rights or anything like that, it was for the personal satisfaction of accomplishing something I wanted to do to see the country and meet new friends. Right now I think my friends outnumber my enemies and I'm working each day to keep it that way. Seeing the look on a young hunter's face when handing them their first duck is very rewarding to me now and giving them a band retrieved by my dog is more of a thrill for me than me killing one. It's all about perception.

In answering some recent questions, yes, I have several leucistic(which is one of several color mutations) birds and true albinos are extremely rare as said before. I've mounted an albino Greenwinged Teal, Canada Goose and Red-winged Blackbird for clients, but never killed one myself. Thought I had one several years ago when I shot a white Mallard out of a flock in Arkansas, but she didn't have pink eyes. Close with the pale washed out yellowish feet though, but she had brown eyes. I've killed a leucistic Mallard, Northern Pintail, Yellow-billed Pintail, Ruddy Duck and my oldest son even shot a leucistic Starling at our camp-house last year knowing what it was and thinking I'd like to have it in our collection. I've also mounted leucistic Gadwall and Greenwings for clients too. Leucistic birds are more common if you can call it that, but still not a dime a dozen. Hybrids, on the other hand, who knows? I've seen Cinnamon/Bluewings breasted out in Mexico, Mallard/Pintails laying on picking house floors in Arkansas and hunters with hybrids strapped by the necks several times. I shot a Gadwall/Shoveler a couple of years ago out of a flock of Spoons in Sinaloa, Mexico because I knew it was something different. Luck is an improtant part in getting anything you're after, but I look for the un-obvious and pay attention and have ever since I let a flock of Shovelers fly through my decoys in Arkansas unscathed, as we don't normally shoot them, only to realize one was a Shoveler/Bluewing, albeit too late. My oldest son and I knew a decoying goose was a hybrid by the sound he was making some years ago. I remember Patrick saying he could make up his mind to call like a Blue or a Speck, he was some of each. I often wonder how many hybrids are over looked. It seems like Brewer's Ducks are getting more common in our area now and I think it's due to the increase in Gadwall numbers in Mallard areas, but who knows for sure. They are the number one hybrid I take in now.

This albino Greenwing I mounted was killed by a young boy that thought it was a "Little Unusual!"

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Genuine Waterfowler » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:21 pm

I have seen an albino spec in Brookshire. Thought how odd it was for a snow to be in the flock, but on closer examination determined it was not a snow after all.
Genuine Waterfowler
hunter

Postby pgquackstacker » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:35 pm

I would like to shoot a leusistic Speck except it would have bars on it's chest.. That would be awesome. :biggrin:
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby DaveK410 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:38 am

I think everything looks amazing! Can we see some of your redheads?
DaveK410
Newb

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:34 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby huntnful » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:32 pm

wow, your mounts are great. How about some pictures of your most memorable hunts.
NOR*CAL WATERFOWLER
huntnful
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:11 pm

They are all memorable and size of the bag is the least important to me more so now than in the past. Since 1961 I've hunted a lot of days, a lot of places and with a lot of people. On the last day of the first split of our season this past Sunday I took a young boy that I'm teaching taxidermy that was his first hunt without his dad being there. Made me remember some of my two son's first hunts. It did us both good. I've buried many friends and more good dogs than I care to think about, hunted from the Northern Lights to the Southern Cross, survived storms, plane crashes, bitter cold and impossible conditions all for the sake of the hunt. Most memorable hunt is always my last and best hunt is the next one. I've been blessed with a great wife, two fine sons and enough good friends to carry me to my grave without having to hire pallbearers. I hope everyone will take the time to reflect how lucky we are to live like we do and be able to pursue our passions. My father died in Korea fighting for democracy so we can live in this great country. I've got lots of "grip and grin" pictures that are impressive but they mean little compared to the memories of my friends and family. A picture of a memorable hunt to me is something like this taken in Arkansas on opening day with my two grown sons age 26 and 28. I don't get the chance to hunt with both of them as often as I like now that they are older and have friends of their own.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby modrobb326 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:13 pm

All i can say is wowzers!! My my brother and i almost have to wipe the drool off of the keyboard :drool: Anyways i kno uv heard it a thousand times..but wow. Awesome collection :clapping: I will actually be putting my first fowl mount on the wall this year. Shot my first full plumage Gadwall here in mn. Iv down many birds the past years but the gad was my first so i decided to start my fowl collection. Next time i make it down that way il have to see about contacting u and maybe see your birds for myself.

Robb
09' 10'
70 Ducks Deer - 10
13 Geese Turkeys - 1
0 Bands Crows - 2
1 Pheasant
1 Grouse
1 Deer
3 Feral Pigs

07' D Max 8'' Fabtech on 37's
16ft Beavertail 20hp Vangaurd
870 Express Super Mag Ducks Unlimited Edition
modrobb326
hunter

Postby #1wingnut » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:58 pm

WOW!! a truly amazing collection for sure. Congadulations :thumbsup:

A friend of mine is a collector also. these are a few pics from one of his game rooms.
but not only waterfowl.

#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:34 pm

your friends game room looks like its on display at a sportsmans show or something. some amazing stuff.
JR
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby grnheadhuntr » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Awesome, man! That is one of the most amazing waterfowl collections I have ever seen. Really impressive. Keep of the good work.
grnheadhuntr
hunter

Postby davkrat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:05 am

Amazing collection Waterfowler! You sound like an amazingly humble humble human being as well. Quite refreshing in these days of chest thumping to see/hear from a sportsman who could chest thump just about any other waterfowler in the country in to the ground be so genuine and humble. Reminds me of Jim Shockey. You are a true sportsman, thank you for your posts! Your taxidermy is fantastic. I got a ration from my wife when it came time to pay for the two mounts I had done last year. Last week I come home iwth a gorgeous widgeon and she says why don't you get one of those mounted :mad: You were dead on when you said keep her happy or you won't be!
"Davey the gorilla can take his orders from the talking Walnut, that way it won't be my bad thing." Therman Hermann
davkrat
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:46 pm

lets see some specks please
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby BenelliBoy75 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:29 pm

this is the best i've got...
Attachments
mallard mount.jpg
"What happened to your call, sounds like crap..." "I think I blew my dip in it again..."
BenelliBoy75
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:23 pm

bump
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby futureagg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi waterfowler I just shot my first spec on youth weekend in Texas, and my grandfather and I were going to mount it. Since you have so many ducks and geese I was going to ask you for some pictures of some of your geese if you don't mind.
BW-3
GW-4
Pintail- 2
Widgeon- 1
Spoons- 5
Specks- 2
Snows-1
futureagg
hunter

Postby daffy... » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:17 am

us native americans blieve killing any albino animals is eternal bad karma. how was your previous hunts?
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:56 pm

daffy... wrote:us native americans blieve killing any albino animals is eternal bad karma. how was your previous hunts?

It's interesting that you mention that, Pat died choking on a number four steel pellet three days ago!

May he rest in peace! Karma's a bitch!

:nana:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pgquackstacker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Don't scare me like that Pete.
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:54 pm

bump
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:29 pm

Whitefronts:

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:02 pm

thanks for the specks
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:25 am

can you even call that last one speckeled?
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Taxidermy Forum