Waterfowler's wall

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: Waterfowler's wall

Postby waldo2382 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:14 am

Sorry, Waterfowler, but I'm not good with last names. Perhaps a first name and a little description. Heck, I didn't even know my last girlfriend's last name.
I do know the McDonald's they make the worst hamburgers, but their chicken nuggets ain't bad. :biggrin:
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:01 pm

i would kill to have .0025 percent of your collection! i have 4 mounts right now after 4 years of hunting with 4 birds on the way (between me and my brother) so i figure in 700 years i should be right up there with ya waterfowler :help: :fingerhead:
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Many miles and many memories to be sure.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:44 pm

btw what do you have in the way of mergansers?
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:24 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:00 am

awesome thanks!

waterfowler whats your favorite duck to mount?
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:02 am

So Pat how many bands have you gotten and what would you say is the most unusual one you got.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:16 am

englishsetter wrote:awesome thanks!

waterfowler whats your favorite duck to mount?

Tough one. Probably Pintails, but also like any of the Seaducks.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:30 am

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:So Pat how many bands have you gotten and what would you say is the most unusual one you got.

Another tough one. I've killed banded birds in Iceland from the U.K. and banded Canadas in New Zealand and a lot in between. If I said how many someome would throw the B.S. flag, but sufice to say it's been a lot. I've been very lucky shooting banded birds. My first Greenhead, Wood Duck, Canada Goose (Jack Miner) and Blue-winged Teal were all banded. A duck camp member once said I could take out the garbage and come back with a band. Just always been lucky. I've seen quite a few bands on birds before I shot them as I look for bands when they are decoying. Most unusual could be a Barrow's Goldeneye I crippled and chased from Big Rapsberry Island all the way to Little Raspberry off of Kodiak. I'm not one to give up on a cripple and it's rewarded me with several bands. A good dog helps and Ace found a banded Greenhead last season after an hour search in some of the toughest cover in Arkansas. I called a shot on a 50 yard Pintail in Mexico once and told everyone it was banded as a joke and guess what? It was.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby phishbum » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:43 pm

Love the diving Mergie mount. Very nicely done. :beer:
phishbum
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:16 pm

considering we saw those pictures of you with the 1000 snow geese i think we could believe how many bands you got. is there any species of duck you havent shot? if you have all the bands in one place please take a pic for proof :hi:
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby CUT EM1 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:40 pm

These are the threads that I truly enjoy reading! Great post's The Waterfowler!
CUT EM1
DHC Sponsor

Postby englishsetter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:00 pm

this is like a bird lovers version of crack :help:
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby duxrus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:24 pm

Do you know how long it would take me to look at his showroom and take pictures one mount at a time...... :lol3:
duxrus
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:21 pm

duxrus wrote:Do you know how long it would take me to look at his showroom and take pictures one mount at a time...... :lol3:

you won't know til u try
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:22 pm

you know i've been thinking we have only seen waterfowl. any upland birds waterfowler?
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:30 pm

I've shot every species in North America including 3 that are on the E.S. list and protected now. Quite a few from foreign countries also. Upand birds are a bunch of Turkeys, Quail, Capercailles, several kinds of Grouse, Woodcock, etc.

I don't have all my bands in one place as a lot are on mounted birds. I quit wearing them on lanyards as I think it's a "mine is bigger than kind of thing" and it's also easy to loose them or have them stolen. I usually flatten them out and put them on a picture or hang them on retired duck calls in my trophy room.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:52 pm

pat,
If you tried to wear all of your bands around your neck you would look like a waterfowling Mr.T :thumbsup: also is that a dove, or pigeon foot w/ a tiny band on it, on the board beside the mallard head mount?
JR
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Before I retired I was sitting in an office and heard a thud on the window. I walked outside and found a banded English Sparrow laying dead. I do have several Doves though.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:00 pm

I count something like 367 bands in those 3 pictures. either you should play the lottery, or your luck is entirly used up, on or the other.
either way I'm jealous.
JR

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:03 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:Before I retired I was sitting in an office and heard a thud on the window. I walked outside and found a banded English Sparrow laying dead. I do have several Doves though.

alright now your telling me the banded birds are just throwing themselves at you.lol
JR

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby da hunter » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:35 pm

:lol: lucky
da hunter
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:45 pm

I just have one more question. Have you ever shot a banded bufflehead or oldsquaw?
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby englishsetter » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:54 am

that is nuts. i am speechless. do you have like a giant magnet that just sucks banded birds to you??

this is kind of off topic but how many retrieves does your dog have? since you shoot a ton of birds that dog must have a ton of experience.
English Setters
englishsetter
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:42 am

Old Squaw, no. Bufflehead, yes. I've shot as high as 18 banded ducks in one season, not counting geese. Used to most goose bands were from migratory birds and were just as prized to me as a duck band, but with all the resident birds being banded now a string of goose bands are pretty common in many areas. I don't value them as much as in years past. Pretty common to kill 50% plus banded geese during a lot of the early resident seasons. I am a positive thinker and in almost 50 waterfowl seasons there was only one year that I didn't kill at least one banded Greenhead. I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good!

The Waterfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Taxidermy Forum