Waterfowler's wall

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: Waterfowler's wall

Postby Cougar125 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:05 pm

Waterfowler - I've looked through here again and the only Harli's I've seen were part of the deadmount you did with the GEs. Do you have any pics of our harli mounts?
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 am

I like Halequins.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby quack wackr » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:32 pm

wow :clapping:
quack wackr
hunter

Postby Dirty Doug » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:33 pm

They all look great Pat.....really love the one scratching himself!! :clapping:
Dirty Doug
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks Doug. You coming down this year?

Check out what we already have here in Arkansas! This is from the Reservoir Pit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Dirty Doug » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Heck yes I am coming.....after seeing that picture for sure!!! :smile: Not sure when cuz as you might know I am going to kill a few doves in Argentina......that is if Ramsey doesn't kill them all first :grooving: Not sure how much I will like it as those doves don't have webbed feet!!! LOL Doug
Dirty Doug
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:40 pm

Don't get carried away or your shell bill can surprise you!!

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Waterfowler, I just want to say thank you for posting this. I havent been waterfowling long but I hunt an area where birds are slim picking and each one is special. Its great to know that even though some people hunt in places that are abundant with ducks and geese certain individuals never stray from the ethics and morals that have been handed down through the generations. Thank you for being a great role model for young waterfowlers everywhere.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:16 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:Waterfowler, I just want to say thank you for posting this. I havent been waterfowling long but I hunt an area where birds are slim picking and each one is special. Its great to know that even though some people hunt in places that are abundant with ducks and geese certain individuals never stray from the ethics and morals that have been handed down through the generations. Thank you for being a great role model for young waterfowlers everywhere.

^^ Sometimes I wish there was a "Like" button just like facebooks...
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 am

Holy crap. Do u mount them yourself or are u just one of those old guys that has some extra cash to throw around. Nice mounts though.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:15 pm

I've done 80-85% of them. I am an old guy but I throw my cash around on trips to hunt or spend on my Duck Club in Arkansas. Life is too short to waste money on something frivilous!! :wink:

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:28 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:Life is too short to waste money on something frivilous!! :wink:

AMEN!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby aranger77 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:I've done 80-85% of them. I am an old guy but I throw my cash around on trips to hunt or spend on my Duck Club in Arkansas. Life is too short to waste money on something frivilous!! :wink:

would you please explain that to my wife lol :lol3:
aranger77
hunter

Postby honkerhuntin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:07 am

Waterfowler, iv been hunting for about 6 years now and i want to start doing some mounts. are there any books and/or videos out that you recomend for someone who wants to learn? (i didnt know it was possible for someone to have that many bands i really am shocked!) thanks.
honkerhuntin
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:05 am

honkerhuntin wrote:Waterfowler, iv been hunting for about 6 years now and i want to start doing some mounts. are there any books and/or videos out that you recomend for someone who wants to learn? (i didnt know it was possible for someone to have that many bands i really am shocked!) thanks.

I suggest you get with a taxidermist and take a hands on course. Videos and even books seem to be a little lacking and not everything is seen or conveyed. Most assume a lot of steps, but there are some good ones out there I'm sure. I just haven't seen one I liked. Also attending seminars at state and national taxidermy conventions are good to and you can make contacts there. There are some great taxidermists in your area like Pat Bradburn for instance that might offer hands on courses. Also look at www.taxidermy.net for help. All depends on how serious you are about learning from someone that is very good. Will cost you but results are worth it.

Bands are luck, I've been lucky. Plus I've waterfowl hunted for over 50 years now.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby midtennhunter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:45 pm

pat you have an amazing collection,i have almost everything from the mississippi flyway in my collection minus a few sup species of geeses and a couple of divers. do you ever get down to tunica and hunt with jack day off of plantation drive? also you said in a post before you were teaching someone taxidermy,do you do that often or is that a unique situation? would love to come down and check out your collection and just listen to some of your stories as you seem like quite the traveled hunter.
midtennhunter
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:30 pm

I used to hunt Beaver Dam a lot when Dr. Chub was alive. Great back in the 70's and 80's. Have met Jack but never hunted with him. I know Dr. Andrews knew his also.

I taught what little i know to a young son of a friend so he could earn a little spending money.

Drop in sometime, but not during ducks season. I won't be here. :smile:

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks for the Harleys. You have an amazing collection!!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby ocho » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:53 pm

I've looked at this thread a million times! And all I can say is it would be just awesome to share
A blind with you on a cold morning! I'd say a fella could learn more in one morning than you could imagine!
ocho
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks, I'm in a pit or green timber every day of the season in Arkansas.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby ocho » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm about 15 minutes from the north arky line. :). I'd love to hear some of the out of country and exotic hunt stories. That and talk a little taxidermy and such! Doubt I can ever make it happen, but I figure I could learn more in a couple hours picking your brain, than in ten years of trial and error!
ocho
hunter

Postby Bib3773 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:49 am

This thread is a thing of true beauty....

Thanks for taking the time to post up all the pictures.
I rode my stick horse to the store, if felt like I walked the whole way....
Bib3773
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:50 am

Good LAWD that is some crazy ish right there. What did you do for a living before you retired? My wife would leave me if I hunted that much, I assume. Congrats on all the memories and accomplishments. :thumbsup:
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby Small Block » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:05 am

Good question Matt. Curious myself. Maybe on his military travels? Good collection. Done several myself after watching a real taxidermist. Some will let ya just come in and watch em. They did for me and off i went. Some will even sell ya the forms and eyes. All other stuff can be had at the hobby stores.
Waterfowler, your a wealthy man and i dont mean financially. Maybe that too but the memories you have created for yourself are priceless. Many myself covering places like Alaska, California, Nebraska, Illinois, Arkansas and of course Missouri where i now reside. The King Eider is a beautiful bird. Only an idiot would turn down a chance to set in a blind and share a cup of coffee with a guy like you and share moments. PM me if ya need my number. I can get away. ANYTIME.
Small Block
Small Block
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Not rich, just in the right places at the right time and having a Saint for a wife helps also. I was a Chemist for Coors Brewing Company before I took an early out at 53 and have never looked back. Been lucky, been blessed and have learned to appreciate the little things that are often overlooked. Just back home from our first split in Arkansas, has been good so far. More Whitefronts on the Prairie than I've ever seen.

Snows and Specks lifting out from one of our rice fields.

View from one of our Pits.

My two sons, The reason I built my duckcamp.

The Waterfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Taxidermy Forum