Waterfowler's wall

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: Waterfowler's wall

Postby Jake S » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:06 am

thanks for all the great pics
Jake S
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:It's a 32mm shot shell, about the size of a 22LR.

kswaterfowler here's some ringnecks. I like to mount divers to show motion and speed.

downstairs.jpg[/img]

ive seen that picture behind with them large black swans next to the canada goose some were before just cant remember were maybe taxi net??
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:24 pm

jpostx3 wrote:That's awesome. Is $100 the most they put on leg bands or do they put even more than that? My buddy killed a neck banded goose the second to last day of season with a transmitter on it. Then during the youth hunt this year a 12 year old kid killed his first duck which was a hen mallard with a transmitter on her also. Talked to a guy at work and he said the duck club by him killed 2 this year. Are they putting more on or people just getting lucky around here this year?

My dad killed a $200 dollar band.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Never saw a $200 band, congrats to him. FYI, they have discontinued putting reward bands on as of last year from what banders have told me.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Pat, any new birds from you latest hunt? You haven't been around, so that must mean you've been killing birds in other places?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:09 am

Just back from Mexico. Hunting Brant on the Baja with some friends. Great area with some good shooting and delicious eating. Also had my wife, oldest son and daughter-in-law along with us. Shot the first web-tags I've seen on Brant with a couple as far back as 2007.

I'm back in the swing of things now and trying to catch up except the Snow Geese still need our attention :wink: Also thinking turkey hunting :grooving:

San Quintin Bay, Baja Norte Mexico.

Great shoot over the eel-grass beds on our last morning.

Patrick with Renee and Jose on first morning. Patrick crossed another species off his list with his first Black Brant.

Did I mention they band quite a few Black Brant!

A couple of the aforementioned web-tags.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:13 am

Need a small lanyard to wear those web-tags now? lol I know you're not one of those guys, just poking a little!

Great hunt there fellas. I certainly see the resemblance. That's a great time spending it with family, scoring points with Mrs. Pitt, and good food and good people!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:35 am

Pete-pec wrote:Need a small lanyard to wear those web-tags now? lol I know you're not one of those guys, just poking a little!

Great hunt there fellas. I certainly see the resemblance. That's a great time spending it with family, scoring points with Mrs. Pitt, and good food and good people!

I'd use them as nose and ear rings.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:52 am

There you go Pat. Lip ring, eyebrow ring, nose ring, belly button ring.....I will stop there! I know your limitations. LOL
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:14 am

Here's a nice MallardxBlack Hybrid I just finished.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:19 am

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=223543
I know you get a lot of requests, but do you have any advice on what this wood duck might be? Not too good of a picture. It's really got me wanting to know because I've never really seen anything like this.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:59 am

Definatly all Wood duck, but without being able to see the pockets it is hard to tell if it is a post-breeding hen, i.e. one producing both estrogen and testosterone, or a mutation. Picture suggests some melanism, but it may be the poor light. The bill and white eye ring is henish in coloration and may well be a xxy chrosomal or aged hen. Smooth feathers suggest the latter as most xxy birds are scruffy looking. Neat looking bird.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Wow this is such an eye opening thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:17 pm

ANyone heard from Pat lately?
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:12 pm

If you know Pat, he is sitting in one of his pit blinds in Arkansas and will normally be there the duration if the season. Perhaps a visit from the girls to celebrate the Christmas. He just got back from Massachusetts after hunting with his boys and friends for eiders, scoters, and old squaw in the Boston Harbor.

Then comes turkey season, then......well who can keep up really lol!

He will pop in when there's nothing open. Maybe some new birds as well? Probably shot a couple this year?
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cougar125 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:02 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:ANyone heard from Pat lately?

It's easier to track him via Facebook.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:01 pm

I just hadn't heard anything for a while and wanted to make sure all is well. Thanks for the update.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:18 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I just hadn't heard anything for a while and wanted to make sure all is well. Thanks for the update.

Actually all is NOT well?!

For the ducks that is! :tongue:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Glades hunter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:12 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387789925.725322.jpg

"If it flies it dies." If it's in season of course!
Glades hunter
hunter

Postby Glades hunter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:13 am

Black belly whistling duck
Glades hunter
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:12 pm

I think this is Pat's "facebook" duck club web-page......L'Anguille Lounge Duck Club.

hump
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby kckong » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:20 pm

What is the prettiest looking duck species you ever shot?
kckong
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:55 pm

kckong wrote:What is the prettiest looking duck species you ever shot?

I would have to say these: Harlequin, Wood Duck, Old Squaw, Pintail
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:42 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:Here's a nice MallardxBlack Hybrid I just finished.

I have almost that exact same bird that I just pulled out of the freezer this morning! I wasn't sure if it was a hybrid, a hermaphrodite, or a drake with some screwed up genes. The head looks classic black/mallard cross, though. Complete with the line through the eyes.

I'll post up some pictures when I'm done.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Don't pay the ransom, I've escaped Arkansas for a week before we have our youth weekend. But leave for Mexico 2/10. If the ducks are there like they were the last week of the season I will have a bunch of happy kids. We had flocks of several hundred working us with mostly Mallards and Pintails the last weekend. Something I hadn't seen in years. Shooting limits was like grocery shopping with plenty of Pintails to limit with plus Greenheads. We didn't even shoot into the flocks of Greenwings. For the first time I believed the census numbers. Was an odd season with lots of ice but we killed them over hard water all season. Lots of Canvasbacks in the rice fields plus Redheads to which told me winter was serious north of us. A friends reservoir blind killed over 200 Cans and Redheads alone. This was the most unpredictable season I've ever hunted in Arkansas since 1971 when I moved to this area. Seemed weather and moon phase was always against us but for some reason the birds stayed. Every time I got ready to invite someone over to hunt the weather would scare them off and I also had fewer members hunting this year then wished they had come when the birds cooperated.

kckong, beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I'm partial to Steller's Eiders and Harlequins in Sea Ducks, Blacks and Pintails for Puddle ducks and Cans in the divers. A lot of the Argentine birds are quite striking and probably the Chiloe Wigeon would top my list there or maybe even Silver Teal.

I hope everyone had a good safe season and let's get ready for Turkeys!

A Few pics from this year.

Probably the prettiest Brewer's Duck I've seen came in yesterday.

Another Blue Phase Ross' we got this year at the camp.Image

Prairie Goose Slam.

Shot this limit the next to last day of the season over 3 inches of ice.

Opening day.

This ain't Pink Floyd's Wall. Opening of second split. My guys pay a fine and wash dishes if they shoot a hen Mallard or hen Pintail.

Unique Gadwall.

Thanksgiving Day Specks with Teal and Greenheads.Image

We got two Pintail bands like this that are being sent to the BBL to be etched.

My favorite eating Goose.

My sweet Daughter-in-Law with her first ever double and what a fine pair to do it on.

The Waterfowler
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Taxidermy Forum