Waterfowler's wall

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: Waterfowler's wall

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:57 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:This ain't Pink Floyd's Wall. Opening of second split. My guys pay a fine and wash dishes if they shoot a hen Mallard or hen Pintail.

:eek: :eek: Damn. That's awesome!
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:28 am

Well done Pat.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby duckman27 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 am

Pat, you're the resident expert so what do you think this is? My taxidermist thinks mallard x gadwall. It has the spots about half way down its breast.
Attachments
1514945_693981990635609_1343495713_n.jpg
duckman27
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:21 pm

duckman27 wrote:Pat, you're the resident expert so what do you think this is? My taxidermist thinks mallard x gadwall. It has the spots about half way down its breast.

..or a mallard X shoveler cross. Only reason I say that is because of all the white around the breast and the white feather tips on top of the wing.

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 pm

If it was a hybrid with a Gadwall there would be white in the tertials along with a yellow stripe down each side of a black bill and there is none of that present. Would also show some brownish on the upper wing coverts. No foreign feather groups are showing other than Mallard, i.e. scapulars like a Shoveler, bill shape or different speculum color. Notice that the bill is that of a hen Mallard with the orangish coloration and black nasal saddle. A pretty much dead give-away of an aged hen that is too old to breed anymore and producing both testosterone and estrogen. They normally aren't pin-feathery like a xxy hermaphrodite and are quite pretty actually. Have several mounted and have seen quite a few. Relate it to an elderly woman growing facial hair post-menopause. Very nice specimen.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:03 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:If it was a hybrid with a Gadwall there would be white in the tertials along with a yellow stripe down each side of a black bill and there is none of that present. Would also show some brownish on the upper wing coverts. No foreign feather groups are showing other than Mallard, i.e. scapulars like a Shoveler, bill shape or different speculum color. Notice that the bill is that of a hen Mallard with the orangish coloration and black nasal saddle. A pretty much dead give-away of an aged hen that is too old to breed anymore and producing both testosterone and estrogen. They normally aren't pin-feathery like a xxy hermaphrodite and are quite pretty actually. Have several mounted and have seen quite a few. Relate it to an elderly woman growing facial hair post-menopause. Very nice specimen.

It sounded like a drake mallard though when it was on the water. The bill is also a bit wider than your typical hen mallard which is also throwing me off.
duckman27
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:17 pm

They are going to sound like a drake and since the testosterone is becoming more dominant, hence the coloration. Bill size will vary also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:10 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:They are going to sound like a drake and since the testosterone is becoming more dominant, hence the coloration. Bill size will vary also.

Will foot coloring change at all? It had black spots all over its feet and legs
duckman27
hunter

Postby sprigs4days » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:29 pm

Jaw hit the floor
Attachments
Greenheads_zpsa73782ca.jpg
"Three can keep a secret, if two are dead"
sprigs4days
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:43 pm

duckman27 wrote:
The Waterfowler wrote:They are going to sound like a drake and since the testosterone is becoming more dominant, hence the coloration. Bill size will vary also.

Will foot coloring change at all? It had black spots all over its feet and legs

Nothing unusual although haven't noticed that. Could be like age spots, but most likely just a natural occurrence.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:43 pm

I got Ace at 2 1/2 as a finished dog from my good friend and trainer Chris Akin of Bono, Arkansas. Chris knew I needed a dog that could go like the Energizer Bunny and he found me what I needed. Now at 13 1/2 he still has the heart but not the wheels and as bad as I wanted him to keep going I had to call a halt sometime. On a recent morning hunt with window pane ice I watched him go on heart alone to pick up my limit and knew then it was time. Hunting alone, with young Dewey having the day off, Ace and I had our last hunt. I waited and passed several Gadwalls, Teal and even a Pintail (as I had my two of them already) before I shot my last Greenhead. I made a bad shot on him and he finally fell a ways out and Ace went for him in the foot deep water, rice stubble and ice for about 200 yards. Tears were in my eyes as he found the bird and labored back with him proud as ever. If I had to pick a special bird, this is it. Number 8060 will be his last and will be a lasting memory.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:17 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:I got Ace at 2 1/2 as a finished dog from my good friend and trainer Chris Akin of Bono, Arkansas. Chris knew I needed a dog that could go like the Energizer Bunny and he found me what I needed. Now at 13 1/2 he still has the heart but not the wheels and as bad as I wanted him to keep going I had to call a halt sometime. On a recent morning hunt with window pane ice I watched him go on heart alone to pick up my limit and knew then it was time. Hunting alone, with young Dewey having the day off, Ace and I had our last hunt. I waited and passed several Gadwalls, Teal and even a Pintail (as I had my two of them already) before I shot my last Greenhead. I made a bad shot on him and he finally fell a ways out and Ace went for him in the foot deep water, rice stubble and ice for about 200 yards. Tears were in my eyes as he found the bird and labored back with him proud as ever. If I had to pick a special bird, this is it. Number 8060 will be his last and will be a lasting memory.

That's a beautiful story, Pat! Brought a tear to my eye as well.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Just. Awesome.

There's simply no memory that replaces a last hunt with retriever. Somehow they know it as well as you, and seem to find a way to impress you all over again.

They can never be replaced, and I dread that day coming again, but am looking forward to this next generation...
uploadfromtaptalk1391485596064.jpg
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby teddysberna » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Awesome write up for what seems like an awesome dog Pat... That first picture deserves a frame and a special spot on the wall for sure..
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby captmike69 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:06 pm

brought a tear to my eye as well. thats an awesome story!
team quack attack "if you blow it they will come"
captmike69
hunter

Postby MasonG » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Wow that's an awesome story on your dog. I agree, frame that first picture
MasonG
hunter

Postby ChattanoogaDuckHunter » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:55 pm

Do you think you could show some of your Bufflehead mounts?
ChattanoogaDuckHunter
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:24 am

This one was mounted in the 60's. Notice the wrong eye color.

This is another 60's bird. Didn't like it as it was to compressed looking in the head especially.

This is the last Bufflehead I had done before I decided to start mounting them myself which would put this bird in the early 70's.

This is the first Bufflehead I mounted for myself which is why I put it in a case.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby KRB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:23 am

The Waterfowler wrote:I got Ace at 2 1/2 as a finished dog from my good friend and trainer Chris Akin of Bono, Arkansas. Chris knew I needed a dog that could go like the Energizer Bunny and he found me what I needed. Now at 13 1/2 he still has the heart but not the wheels and as bad as I wanted him to keep going I had to call a halt sometime. On a recent morning hunt with window pane ice I watched him go on heart alone to pick up my limit and knew then it was time. Hunting alone, with young Dewey having the day off, Ace and I had our last hunt. I waited and passed several Gadwalls, Teal and even a Pintail (as I had my two of them already) before I shot my last Greenhead. I made a bad shot on him and he finally fell a ways out and Ace went for him in the foot deep water, rice stubble and ice for about 200 yards. Tears were in my eyes as he found the bird and labored back with him proud as ever. If I had to pick a special bird, this is it. Number 8060 will be his last and will be a lasting memory.

Great story Pat
KRB
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri May 23, 2014 9:31 am

Awesome story Pat.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby eburgsnake » Sun May 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Favorite post on DHC
waterfowlman wrote:A game hog.......... is a game hog........is a game hog.
Folies will soon be appearing in a park holding waterfowl near you.
eburgsnake
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue May 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Awesome!!!
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby Black Smoke » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Anyone ever kill a CanadaX Snow/Blue goose before? If so will you post a picture and when and where you killed it. My buddy and I chased one for almost a month straight in unseasonally warm weather in February 2 years ago in Indiana. Thanks!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:02 am

Here's mine that wasn't finished at the time of the picture. I've mounted about a half dozen for clients also. Seems most are Lesser/Snow hybrids since a lot of their breeding areas overlap.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby bigrick_2u » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:36 pm

Waterfowler, thank you for the pictures and the stories. You've lived a crazy life. How about east coast sea ducks and some brant?

Thanks again.
"If you have totals of ducks you've killed this year, I count your point as invalid."
bigrick_2u
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Taxidermy Forum