Waterfowler's wall

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Re: Waterfowler's wall

Postby Boom » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:50 am

That is one of my favorite things to do after a good duck or deer hunt is listen to the stories. Some of them are told every year but ya know some how they seem to have the same effect they did when you first heard them! It wouldn't be a duck or deer hunt without a story or two about the old days,past hunts etc..
WACKEM & STACKEM
Boom
hunter

Postby Jev Long » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Lord have mercy! :eek:

I dont think Ive ever seen so many birds and bands in one place.

I think I would both urinate and defecate if I was to see that in person.
Life is short. Duck season is even shorter.
"Dont shoot 'till you see the webs of their feet!"
Smoke quack not crack.
Jev Long
hunter

Postby woodiekiller » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:24 pm

3legged_lab wrote:lol, I showed my wifey some of your pics, and she said if I plan on having that many birds in the house I'll have to get my own place. I guess I'll miss her. :grooving:
JR

if i had to chose that or wife... hmmm not a very hard choice is it bud!
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby woodiekiller » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:26 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:Wood Duck/Ringneck, Wood Duck/Shoveler and Wigeon/Scaup. A Wood Duck is as bad as a Mallard and will breed almost anything.

some men are like that!
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby woodiekiller » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:28 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:I've shot every species in North America including 3 that are on the E.S. list and protected now. Quite a few from foreign countries also. Upand birds are a bunch of Turkeys, Quail, Capercailles, several kinds of Grouse, Woodcock, etc.

I don't have all my bands in one place as a lot are on mounted birds. I quit wearing them on lanyards as I think it's a "mine is bigger than kind of thing" and it's also easy to loose them or have them stolen. I usually flatten them out and put them on a picture or hang them on retired duck calls in my trophy room.

man im soooooooooo jealous i would die to have that many bands
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby woodiekiller » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:30 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:Before I retired I was sitting in an office and heard a thud on the window. I walked outside and found a banded English Sparrow laying dead. I do have several Doves though.

your way to lucky! how many years of waterfowling do you have under your belt... man your my hero
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:44 pm

This year will be my 48th.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby andrew_kirby » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:41 pm

I would like to say that I am amazed...I had no idea there were that many ducks and if i count everyone i know they dont have close to that many bands...I got started waterfowl hunting 3 years ago and still havent got a band ive seen mabye 3 taken while hunting with me....and Ive seen maybe 6 species and killed three and i though that was good lol...My biggest accomplishment this year will be to get a black duck and you are talking about species ive never heard of.....ne tips on getting to see and hunt even half of the plces you have as i can tell you have been a lot of places...
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Postby vcpitcher18 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:26 pm

wow iam amazing those mounts are amazing seems to me like you are one lucky guy
vcpitcher18
hunter

Postby THE TRUE WATERFOWLER » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:47 pm

That is a pretty nice collection.
Killin' and grillin' since the sixties
THE TRUE WATERFOWLER
hunter

Postby woodiekiller » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 pm

THE TRUE WATERFOWLER wrote:That is a pretty nice collection.

Is your's better? :huh:
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby pgquackstacker » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:30 pm

woodiekiller wrote:

Pretty sure that is not possible...
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby woodiekiller » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:32 am

pgquackstacker wrote:
woodiekiller wrote:

Pretty sure that is not possible...[/quote]
10 times out of 10 it ain't! :fingerpt:
Last edited by woodiekiller on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby supremewaterfowler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:57 am

Quite an impressive collection. How are you able to collect so many hybrids?!? I simply have not been as fortunate as you in the hybrid department. I have killed 1000's of birds, 100's of species and only killed 1 hybrid.

Do you have a king eider? I would love to see a picture. The only king eider I have ever seen mounted, other than my own, is a buddy of mine who chats on this forum. Quite a stunning bird.

I applaud you on your collection. I wish I would have had the foresight to keep some of the birds I have killed over the years because some of them are now protected. Congratulations! :clapping:

Paul Kingyon aint got nothing on me!
supremewaterfowler
Newb

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:34 pm

First of All, I'll admit I'm just lucky when it comes to hybrids, bands or species for that matter. I've lucked into birds far from their flyway on several occasions. I've got something like 24 mounted Kings that I've shot and still a couple in the freezer. Thay aren't as prized by me as the Steller's, Spectacleds or Emperors I have though.

Here's a couple of my Kings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby supremewaterfowler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:53 pm

I have never been lucky so I guess I will just have to make do. Given the number of bands and neck collars you have acquired, you must make good use of a spotting scope and skull boat! I wish I would have kept my Stellers, specs and emperors that I killed many years ago. They were kind of like baseball cards as a kid. Who knew someday they would be so valuable? I have hope specs will be taken off the endangered species list as I would like to add a couple to my collection.

Did you hunt all the birds in your collection or are some of them pen raised?

A good friend of mine, my hunting mentor essentially, used to collect birds and had a wonderful collection. His 4000 sq/ft basement was literally covered with birds he had killed. This was many years ago and even somehow managed to have a labrador duck in his collection. He died in 1982 and was 93 when he passed. He claimed he killed the labrador duck when he was a young boy, which would have been around the turn of the century. He literally had hundreds of species and well over 3000 birds mounted. It was like nothing I have ever seen before. His life mission was to collect every species and mount it. I do not know how he did it but he had a story about every single bird in his possession.

I have a friend like that today, whom I mentioned in my earlier post, and is well on his way to collecting every species of waterfowl in the world. For some reason he absolutely will NOT advertise his collection, but it is tremendous. At last count, he had almost 2000 birds and hundreds of species. The number of species varies on how you classify sub species. He has built an addition to his house just to display all of his birds. He too has a labrador duck in his collection and is only the 2nd lab duck I have ever seen. That is also the only duck in his collection he has not hunted and killed himself.

Long story short, I love seeing people so passionate about hunting and putting together phenominal collections. Again, congratulations on your collection and hope you continue to grow the size of it and turn it into something really special. :clapping:
supremewaterfowler
Newb

Postby THE TRUE WATERFOWLER » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:57 pm

woodiekiller wrote:

I don't know, I haven't seen his in person or the extent to which he collects beyond waterfowl so it may be. I don't want to start a pissing match but I do not think that it compares to a good friend of mine's collection (Genuine Waterfowler). He has over 2000 mounts representing 700+ bird species from pretty much every continent in the world. There are birds in his 7000 square foot house that I didn't even know existed before I saw them mounted in his collection. He's on here, he's just an older gentleman that isn't looking for all of the attention and is past his chest pounding days.

Like I said it's a pretty nice collection.
Killin' and grillin' since the sixties
THE TRUE WATERFOWLER
hunter

Postby woodiekiller » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Well i didn't mean to sound mean, just was wondering! Never saw anything better then the Waterfowler's collection...

Dylan
woodiekiller
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:20 pm

THE TRUE WATERFOWLER wrote:
woodiekiller wrote:

I don't know, I haven't seen his in person or the extent to which he collects beyond waterfowl so it may be. I don't want to start a pissing match but I do not think that it compares to a good friend of mine's collection (Genuine Waterfowler). He has over 2000 mounts representing 700+ bird species from pretty much every continent in the world. There are birds in his 7000 square foot house that I didn't even know existed before I saw them mounted in his collection. He's on here, he's just an older gentleman that isn't looking for all of the attention and is past his chest pounding days.

Like I said it's a pretty nice collection.

it does sound sort of like you are starting a peter measuring contest. If your friend does not advertise his collection that is fine, it sounds like he is being modest. Why would he, when he has marks that will talk it up for him.
JR
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:33 pm

I'm primarily into Waterfowl and Turkeys, upland birds don't excite me that much. Everything in my collection I have I killed or my sons or wife did with the exception of a couple hybrids that would never occur in the wild that I thought were neat looking. I don't use a scull boat, actually never hunted out of one, or a spotting scope to look for bands. I just hunt a lot from September to March in the U.S. and then the Southern Hemisphere during our summer. I don't flaunt my collection, I just answer questions when asked and post birds of interest for those that want to see them. I'm one that feels that why have something and not share. I'm sure there are more extensive collections, but I'm happy with what I have and the memories that go with them. There are still a few waterfowl species I wish to target and may some day but so much has changed since 9/11.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Genuine Waterfowler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:15 pm

I really enjoy all of the pictures on this forum. There are some very impressive collections! I don't post pictures on any public forum for two main reasons:

1. Some of my birds are quite valuable and I have experienced theft in the past.

2. The contacts that I use for some of the "challenging" countries don't advertise to the public.

Collecting is not a competition, it's an extreme expression of appreciation for such a wonderful creature. After 60+ years and more money than I wish to recount (I hope my wife isn't reading this), I only need 3 more waterfowl. Hopefully I'll be able to get them down and back into the US. That is now more challenging than the hunt itself, which is a shame. Places like mid-continent Africa and southeast Asia are amazing, but the logistics of re-entry are a true pain, not to mention a large expenditure.

It doesn't matter if you're collecting for a particular pond or the entire planet, the memories are the same.
Genuine Waterfowler
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:52 pm

We all have a Holy Grail. I truly hope you suceed in your quest.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby supremewaterfowler » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:54 am

There I go offending people again. My comments were not meant to offend anyone. We are chatting in a taxidermy forum and thought it might be of some interest to tell other people in the forum about other great collections in the country. I was not trying to take anything away from The Waterfowler or his accomplishments, but rather share some stories about friends of mine who have spent a lifetime doing what The Waterfowler is doing. After all, I could tell my wife about these wonderful collections but she truly would not appreciate it the way I thought the people in this forum would.

Waterfowler...if I offended you by my post please accept my apologies. My hunting season starts in September and finishes in March, the same way yours does, and I have been hunting like this for 40+ years. I have killed thousands of birds in my life and, like I said, have only acquired 1 hybrid. As you know, acquiring hybrids is extremely difficult and the few people I know who have acquired several of them did so through the use of a spotting scope and a scull boat. Unfortunately one of the collectors I knew did not acquire them legally. He would scout reservoirs in various locations across the US, posing as a bird watcher, and poached many of the hybrids he discovered. Ultimately he was caught, arrested and forced to give up his collection. Unfortunately his passion for collecting shaded his view of telling right from wrong. That is why it is nice to see people like you who have acquired a beautiful collection of birds through several successful hunts and a bit of luck. I toast you on your collection and look forward to seeing future additions. :beer:
supremewaterfowler
Newb

Postby pgquackstacker » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:19 pm

I would love to have collections anywhere near all of yours. I don't have any mounts yet but I have one in the freezer. I can only imagine how much money you guys have spent on your collections.
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby TennesseeNW » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:42 pm

Do you have any blonde mallard or albino ducks?
Can't kill em on the couch.
TennesseeNW
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Taxidermy Forum