Duck Hunting Forum banner

Whats your favorite shot size for snows?

• T

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • BBB

• BB

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • B

Votes: 4 44.4%

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • #3 or smaller

Favorite Shot Size For Snows *Poll*

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  TEN GAUGE BBB 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to go on my first snow hunt next spring and am researching what shot sizes work best for snows. I would like to see what everyone thinks so I can buy some ammo brands and pattern test it for them. I am assuming about an average of 35-45 yard shots. Thanks for your input.

Will

#3 ·
Decoying Snows can be crushed with #2 steel. We shoot both Greater and Lesser Snows with them out of Light Modified or Modified chokes and do well. I'd go a little bigger with pass shooting but understand Snow Geese don't have the feathers that Canadas do and aren't as tough to bring down. Dense patterns work well for us and we kill a lot.

#9 ·
For what it is worth, after a couple of times chasing snows with GKR, I have found that the 3" #1s were the best overall load. Last season I was shooting a new SX3 and used the 3.5" but would stick with #1s if I had the choice. Good pattern density with enough pellet mass to get consistent kills.

#11 ·
rebelcj7 said:
I personally shoot 3" Hevi Metal BB's at snows
I could NOT get good patterns past 30 yards with the Hevi Metal BB loads I shot. There was a lot of shot clumps that caused very large holes in the patterns. The more choke I tried the worse the patterns would get. While I was picking up the shot wads some still had shot in them. :huh: This load may work well for some but not for me. Most of my shots at Snows in the spring are 30 - 55 yards. Hevi Metal loads are also Very $$$$$$.(IMO)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.