Duck Hunting Forum banner

THIS WAS AWESOME .

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  Honkers41 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I saw that last spring. I think it was over 3 days or something.

So were you one of the guys that took part in that?

#3 ·
that makes me sick. i'm guessing that this is the famous ditch banger shoot i have been hearing so much about. total lack of respect for snow geese and snow goose hunting. this is why we need limits during the spring. i highly doubt all those birds were cleaned and eaten. if they were it probably took weeks. takes lots of skill to crawl up on a wad and blast into them. then chase cripples for 3 hours.

#4 ·
I don't disagree with you on the lack of skill it takes to ditch shoot em, (I have done similiar things but I prefer decoying them) but if they were used then I see nothing wrong with it. The reasons behind the spring season is to thin out the species and if the government sees fit to allow it then I trust them enough to go along with it.
That is one heck of a lot of birds.
Chris

#6 ·
You can not be serious! This isn't awesome it's a disgrace! If you for one second don't believe that this is giving hunting a bad name your nuts. Posting this picture all over the web and in Outdoor life or field and stream which ever it was it's just senseless chest thumping. I have many issues with this shoot.

First I don't care what you say there were birds besides snow geese killed in these shoots. Mallards, Pintails, white fronts, and Canada geese sit all mixed together in these flocks. Except in this magical land that they were shooting in. To tell me they singled birds out to prevent this is a joke your telling me they had complete control over every single pellet they fired into a cloud of jumping birds? I don't think so!

Second if this shoot took place over three days how were the birds kept from spoiling? I didn't notice a single gutted bird in this picture I sure as hell wouldn't eat a bird you shot an thursday and cleaned Sunday. Then ask yourself the reason they didn't gut or clean them right away? Because they wanted to get a good picture they could brag about. Who cares about the birds we got a 1029. Wahoo for us.

Third what about all the cripples that were lost? I bet there were roosts full of birds that flew back and died there. I'm also sure that any non-hunter that would have seen this would have been quite easily pushed into becoming an anti. Way to help out your sport guys. Another thing to remember is if there is enough public outcry against it this special spring Conservation Order could be rescinded and government agencies will just take of the problem on the tundra themselves. So before you start giving them the atta boy think about what the repercusions of something like this could be.

Fourth To defend this shoot with the standard well it's legal and they want the birds thinnned out statement is ludicris. At one time live decoys, sink boxes, punt guns, and market hunting were all legal also. Some states and provinces have actually gone as far as to passs no creepage laws to keep things like this from happening.

Everytime I see this picture pop up somewhere it sickens me! These guys aren't hunters they're shooters and braggerts thats all they are. I hope this year we don't see a recurrence of this incident.

#8 ·
OK so we should just allow the snow geese to ruin the tundra, take over all of the waterfowl, and rule the world. Sounds like a great plan. NOT!!!! When spring time roles around ducks stick to water or maybe that nice green grass growing on the edges. If a few ducks, or if canada geese somehow get mistaken for snows and blues, then that hunter should probably get a smack on the back of the head. BUT, very few get killed so the population isn't severely hurt. So, spring hunting has greater benifits than no spring hunt. Without it, snows would eat every duck and dark goose out of food.

#9 ·
So untrue.
Where are you hunting that ducks stick to water in the spring? I hunt snows from Kansas to North Dakota in the spring and I see ducks in the fields with the geese all the time.
There are a ton of ducks and dark geese killed on these jumps. I've witnessed the aftermath myself. You come up to a slough your thinking about setting up your decoys in and there are dead non target species laying all over that some jumper pounded when he shot into a cloud of jumping snows. But I suppose in your book this is acceptable colateral damage to save the tundra right?
Take a look at population numbers for waterfowl now and at the inception of the C.O. your going to see that most populations are down from the begining of the special season some feel this is because of the constant harassment these other waterfowl species are receiving from jumpers. The hens are stressed out and unable to reach a healthy weight that allows them to reproduce because every time they sit down some goof ball sneaks up on the flock they're feeding in screams save the tundra and and starts blazing away.
Having a C.O. is probably the worst thing that has ever happend to snow geese because of people like yourself who have totally lost all respect for one fo the greatest birds god ever created. All they can do is scream save the tundra and do things with this mantra in mind that are nothing short of crimes. Just because this magnificent creatures population needs to curbed is no reason to lose respect for yourself, other hunters, or the species. Seriously sit down and think about your actions.

#10 ·
Sorry for sort of misunderstanding. I am in favor of the spring season for control, but jumping is not one our tactics. I live along the mississippi river in missouri and our ducks stick to the water. I have never witnessed ducks actively feeding in fields during the spring. OK, you have a great point for hen stress. Around here, we just don't have the same hunting. I guess I'm a little inexperienced when it comes to the jumping tactic

#12 ·
Hmmmm. I am in an awkward situation being I moderate this forum. Lets just say my true feelings will not be expressed if indeed these birds were jump shot, go to NoDak Outdoors(sister sight of DHC) if you really want to know my opinion on jumping snows. Or on the ethics, see the Refuge on the main forum right now.

That being said, I am going to point out that from 1st appearances, they did nothing illegal. It is legal to sneak Snows in most states.

As for Snowfungals 1st post:
1) In my personal experience, I concur.
2) I disagree, ever hear of the expression "hang 'em high"? Just like the principle of dry aging beef for 30 days, you can also age fowl. I do it all the time, they are not spoiled if it is cool even out side. BTW, supposedly they cleaned them at a rate of 20 per man hour as I recall.
3) good point.
4) I disgree, the purpose of the spring season is to indeed thin the Snows population. Remember the USFWS has allowed an extenede seaon, the use of no plugs, elect calls, liberal limits. I do not agree on their no limits, and elect calls decision , but it is none the less allowable.

I think you are talking ethics VS the legallity. I personally agree they are braggerts, and are in poor form, and yes I bet it'll happen again, unfortunately.

Lastly, Snowfungal, I hope you stop in more often, as we need good iexperienced hunters on Snow hunting here at DHC :thumbsup:

#13 ·
Thanks for the compliment H2.
I disagree with the hang em high just because I never saw a one that was gutted I've aged venison before heck if it's cool enough out I'll age my birds. But never would I age either with out removing the innnards. You have to let that body heat escape to keep the meat from spoiling.

As for number four thats an ethical dilema for each of us individually figure out. I know where I stand and I'm not for the whole sale slaughter of birds in this magnitude or fashion. And I most definitely am against the public display of this picture in the fashion they have chosen

#14 ·
Nope you do not gut them, reason you do not gut them is because then the flies can get into the cavity if it gets to 45, and the air will dry it out. They hung them on the north side of barns/sheds etc...(no sun to warm them). Granted you can not do this in warmer weather. But remember years ago there was no refrigeration, and this is how they stored their late fall/winter birds. :thumbsup:

#20 ·
First of all, I've never posted here before, so I know some won't care or will question my credibility. I can't help that, but this is the truth.

I know several of the guys that participated in this hunt. Yes they jump shot them, getting the permission of every land owner along the way. I can also vouch for the FACT that they cleaned these birds. I know they kept a lot of them and if memory serves, they donated a lot to organizations that feed homeless folks here in Memphis. One of the participants in particular is one of the most knowledgable waterfowlers I have ever come in contact with and very conservation minded. He will absolutely kill you for shooting a susie. Everything they did was above board. Now, whether or not you agree with them, that's another matter. But don't come on here bashing people you don't know for things you assume about them just by looking at a picture. These are good guys and a couple of them in particluar have done more to ensure our future waterfowling privledges than I'll probably ever be able to do (and I dare say many of you). If you disagree with the picture (some of the younger guys' idea) or jump shooting, I don't have a problem with that. Personally, I say good for them for decreasing a light goose population that's WAY out of control in most places. I do agree the picture can lend to bad press about hunters and I'm not a big fan, but it was young guys having fun.

Now that I've got that off my chest, great forum. I've really enjoyed reading your opinions and experiences. Talking hunting is the next best thing to doing it!

#21 ·
Around here, you either jump em or lose places to hunt around here. I have one farmer that lost 60 acres of winter wheat cause they got in their on a rainy day and just devastated the wheat in that area. I couldn't get ahold of him that day, and he now told me if I find geese on any of his fields get rid of them. I jump them and am proud to try it. I dont shoot them off of ponds very often, but I have belly crawled for 1/2 mile through 2 inches of water to try and get close enough for the shot. I work much harder trying to do that than I ever have decoy hunting, so I dont see what the big deal is. Don't hate people who work hard just cause you either can't or wont.Yeah, I like to decoy hunt them, but somedays jumping them can be fun.
As far as cleaning them, I could drive though south emporia with a pickup loaded down, and the Hispanics, and asians would take all the birds I am willing to give them.

#23 ·
Memphis fowler- i like the way you think. Good job for taking up for that group. Seems like fungal has problems. Maybe he was on the peta forum and just slipped into a huntin forum. First of all i know some of that group in the picture and i got the picture of all of the meat to prove that they cleaned them all which i will post if i can figure out how to. Fungal i dont want to get into a point the finger argument with anyone over a computer but it seems to me like you assume too much. Your stepping on a lot of peoples toes around here and im sure they dont like it just like i dont. why are you assuming the worst before you even know? its like guilty until proven innocent. your post was such a load of crap i cant even remember it all. every one of these guys has a dog and dang good ones too. they dont let cripples get away even if it does take 3 hours. i dare say these boys did us a favor for taking care of these geese that the usfws says are hurtin the ecosystem. How can you argue with that? As far as the picture being on the internet, yea i can see how that isnt helping us against peta or whoever. Look heres the facts: they did clean all the geese, they left no cripples for the roost pond, and they did what we all try to during the spring- kill snow geese. anyway i know youll write something back with another load so go ahead ill check back later. but i congratulate these boys for a job well done. ya know these days when you dont do a job right people get mad. when you do it right people still get mad. lose lose situation. have fun huntin this weekend and be safe. lates

#25 ·
I say hell yeah to controllin the light goose populations. They have a nasty habit of destroying the tundra to the point that it cant recover in just one year. They also happen to be much more prolific breeders than any of their smaller waterfowl cousins. Also, because they use up all of the tundras resources countless goslings starve, are abandoned, and die on the open tundra...now that is a true waste of beauty and life.

#26 ·
Well...i'm a waterfowler of 33 years and i believe in controlling the white devils...i just think the pic was distasteful....and it may give the anti's more ammo....to use on us,nexttime think before you print..!!Honkers41

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.