Interesting encounter with lone snow goose

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Interesting encounter with lone snow goose

Postby agengo02 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:14 pm

This morning it was mildly foggy and we heard a group of geese. Suddenly there was a single flying within gun range around. I get after him on my snow goose call and he was working for 5 minutes or so. I think he was liking the call, but we had no snow goose decoy, or anything that could pass as a goose in sight so he never finished. I was thinking about making a flag to use to get them to pass low when I am out duck hunting. Would a couple of floaters help? Maybe only toss them out if geese are low?

Thanks for any advice.
agengo02
hunter

Re: Interesting encounter with lone snow goose

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:03 pm

In my experience, you don't normally see just a couple snow geese with ducks. They're typically in large numbers.

But with that being said, it might not hurt to try though.
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby aggiechiro » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:18 pm

just have to get him to come into gun range. you don't need him to land in your lap.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:28 am

Yeah so would a snow goose flag be better?? Just something to give them a little visual?
agengo02
hunter

Postby duckhuntingchat.com » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:58 pm

Well if you have a water spread then waving from the shore wouldn't be natural IMO.

Maybe look for some used snow goose floaters in the classifieds?
duckhuntingchat.com
Site Admin

Postby teamoutlaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:34 pm

a 4 pk or 6pk of snow floaters couldnt hurt the decoy spread on the ducks. and would probably finish him. has this really happened to you very much. sometimes a juvy gets lost or a mature. and they will bail right in to the first ones they see because who knows how long they have traveled looking. Ive been sh*t on a couple times by some singles that flew right in and didnt make a sound but quickly realized we werent real lol
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:39 pm

I have always included a few snow goose floaters in my duck hunting spread. They can be seen from a long way off and yopu never know when you might see the odd snow. Where I live snow geese are a rarity. In the Eastern half of our state they are more common. I got in the habit of using the 4 snow goose floaters over 30 years ago. call them a confidence decoy or just a decoy that can be seen from a long way off. I believe it has always been a benifit. That said, I also believe that the best duck decoy is a fewfloating Canada goose decoys nadded to your spread. We don't always have the chance at Honkers but with them as a regular part of the spread we at least have a few if some come over. Jeff
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:22 am

UmatillaJeff wrote:I have always included a few snow goose floaters in my duck hunting spread. They can be seen from a long way off and yopu never know when you might see the odd snow. Where I live snow geese are a rarity. In the Eastern half of our state they are more common. I got in the habit of using the 4 snow goose floaters over 30 years ago. call them a confidence decoy or just a decoy that can be seen from a long way off. I believe it has always been a benifit. That said, I also believe that the best duck decoy is a fewfloating Canada goose decoys nadded to your spread. We don't always have the chance at Honkers but with them as a regular part of the spread we at least have a few if some come over. Jeff

Floating Canadas would not be realistic down here because we never really get them down here. I am curious about the snow floaters though. Do you keep them off to one side of the spread or something? Think you can elaborate on your setup?

I just would hate to flare ducks on the off chance that some geese want to work.
agengo02
hunter

Postby nebraskahunter94 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:16 pm

We always set up a few snow decoys in the field so we are more visible to the geese around
nebraskahunter94
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:19 pm

always put em at the upwind side of the spread.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby aggiechiro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:27 pm

agengo02 wrote:Floating Canadas would not be realistic down here because we never really get them down here...I just would hate to flare ducks on the off chance that some geese want to work.

i'm sure we're hunting relatively close.

often later in the season i will set a small group of canada floaters off, maybe 15-20 yards to the side of my duck spread. hunting mostly coastal marshes i know they aren't horribly common. i really feel they didn't spook a single duck. i also know they work well enough on specks. i killed more specks duck hunting this year(not counting goose hunts) than i ever have.

on one hunt i was looking down at a pair of spoonies trying to figure if they'd work in, they were 300-400 yards off. i heard wings. looked and there was a speck cupped and feet down 10 feet over those canadas, getting ready to land. he died. he wasn't the only speck that tried to work them, and he wasn't the only that died over them.
Gig 'em!
aggiechiro
hunter

Postby quiksilvern7 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:03 pm

had 8 snow floaters this year at my blind set up for ducks and we shot 13 snows in 3 days, all singles and they would just lock straight into the dekes.
quiksilvern7
hunter

Postby agengo02 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:46 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. Quicksilver did you have them set way off to the side or anything? To me I would think they would spook ducks, but I am not a duck and they apparently worked for yall.
agengo02
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum