what size shot to use?

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Re: what size shot to use?

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Tiburon5 wrote:it is made from tungsten. it is hever and softer than steel. it is like shooting lead but it is nontoxic.

Heavy metal has the exact same ballistic properties as a regular steel load, just more pellets to fill out the pattern.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Tiburon5 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:48 pm

tornadochaser wrote:
Tiburon5 wrote:it is made from tungsten. it is hever and softer than steel. it is like shooting lead but it is nontoxic.

Heavy metal has the exact same ballistic properties as a regular steel load, just more pellets to fill out the pattern.

Not quite right. See 2 shot is 2 shot no madder what it is made of. a 3 inch shell call only hold so many bbs of 2 shot regardless of what it is made from. What makes the difference is how much energy it carries and how far. Lead is heavy and soft... has a lot of knock down power so instead of shooting steel 2s you can shoot lead 4s with the same pounds per square inch as you do with the steel. That gives you a better pattern like you said, but that is why. if you shoot 2 steal and 2 lead and 2 tungsten the pattern is all the same size.

Tungsten has the speed of steel, but the power of lead. It is why it is expensive.
Salad... it's what food eats.
Tiburon5
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:16 pm

Tiburon5 wrote:
tornadochaser wrote:

Not quite right. See 2 shot is 2 shot no madder what it is made of. a 3 inch shell call only hold so many bbs of 2 shot regardless of what it is made from. What makes the difference is how much energy it carries and how far. Lead is heavy and soft... has a lot of knock down power so instead of shooting steel 2s you can shoot lead 4s with the same pounds per square inch as you do with the steel. That gives you a better pattern like you said, but that is why. if you shoot 2 steal and 2 lead and 2 tungsten the pattern is all the same size.

Tungsten has the speed of steel, but the power of lead. It is why it is expensive.

Hevi-Metal is a duplex steel/tungsten load. The smaller tungsten pellets are rough ballistic equivalents of their larger steel counterparts. The end goal of this load was to increase pellet count and pattern density inside 40 yards. The retained energy of the load is no greater than a standard steel load of the same "pellet size". A #2 hevimetal load will perform the same as a #2 steel load, just with more pellets. Any increased fringe range "killability" can be attributed to more pellets, not more retained energy.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby mighty mike » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Hevi Metal is a mix of regular steel and Hevi shot with the same ballistics but smaller in size. Higher pellet count and you get some Hevi shot mixed in. I've heard roughly 40% Hevi shot?
mighty mike
hunter

Postby Honkers41 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:29 pm

I'm shooting number 2's and BB's...Kent and black cloud....long range Briley chokes and Mod if they start comming into the hole!!
GUNS~UP~FEATHERS~DOWN~!
Love My Mossbergs!!
Honkers41
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:51 am

im using 3 1/2" #2's for first shot :bow: , then backing it up with 3" bb's :beer:
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:17 am

mighty mike wrote:Hevi Metal is a mix of regular steel and Hevi shot with the same ballistics but smaller in size. Higher pellet count and you get some Hevi shot mixed in. I've heard roughly 40% Hevi shot?

Correct... well worth it given the pattern density you get back!
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:31 am

1, 2, BB, BBB, T, and F.
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Fri May 25, 2012 8:34 pm

T's..... and any other shot size as long as its T's It ony takes ONE to bring them down.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Fri May 25, 2012 10:15 pm

Number 2's kill them dead.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby mallardman1038 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Tornado chaser and mighty mike have it right tiburon. And by the way its not "heavier" its denser than steel. There is a big difference between those two terms. True that size 2 shot is the same in all the different pellets regardless of what metal is used. But the way hevi-metal gets more pellets is because they use both steel and tungsten in the same shotshell. If the box of Hevi-metal says 2 shot, that means it has approx 60% steel number 2 shot and 40% tungsten in its ballistic equivalent, which would be about a 4 shot. So a shotshell of number 2 hevi-metal will ultimetely have a higher pellet count because of the smaller shot taking up less space in the wad. An average 1 1/4oz load of number 2 steel will have approx 155 pellets whereas a 1 1/4oz load of hevi-metal will have approx 185 total pellets.
mallardman1038
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm not a fan of black cloud I don't see much a difference in the amount of kills I make using it or cheap kent, federal, or whatever other brand of ammo. The hevi shot is awesome I just can't justify the cost of it even though it is great hits similar to lead. I know some may disagree with me here but the winchester blind side hits hard and certainly can reach out aways although its not the cheapest its cheaper than heavi shot and when its on sale its cheaper than black cloud and I think its better than black cloud in my opinion. I just think that because I have seen and personally myself made a number of shots with it that I don't think would have happened with regular cheap steel ammo. The only reason I would use premium ammo like this on snows is if I have some left over from ducks shooting at snows just uses up to much ammo for me to spend top dollar on it.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby bandgitter91 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:44 pm

I usually use 3 1/2" BB sometimes BBB to hunt them and its does a number on them, but 3" or 3 1/2" #2's work as well if. If i see them in time when killin ducks ill switch to BB shells if not i let them have it with the 2'S
bandgitter91
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:27 am

10 gauge #4 buckshot..54 badarse fighter bees in that load..the original long-range pass shooting load!! :thumbsup: :lol:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Previous

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum