decoying snow geese

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

decoying snow geese

Postby goosedowner » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:10 pm

What is the best way to make snow geese want to come into your decoys. Me and my friend were hunting this sunday and had a group of about 200 hundred coming from the north. It was snowing and foggy. I turned the caller on and it didn't come on right away so i started using my hand call. and some of them locked up and then my e caller came on and at one time all the geese shifted and it looked like that they had flared but they turned and kept coming they passed us real low and then went out a little bit and then came back all of them i wouldnt have guessed they all would have but they did. I wanted to let them land but i didnt know wether they were going to or they were just playing with us. so we went ahead and shot. We shot at the littler group before the big group got to us we killed 5 with 6 shots. The cool thing is about 2 hundred yards away there was about 100 thousand sitting on the ground. Best day so far. We only had out about 400 decoys.
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:04 pm

I'm not sure you can get any better like you described. Snow most times will not commit like Canadas will.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby TXwaterfowler » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:06 pm

Yeah thats true most of the time snows wont hit as willing as speks and canadians. Theres one thing about it you get a flock of snows to funnel ur chances have improved greatly. Its even better when you get a WOW day (warm,overcast,windy) is your best chance to having a memorable hunt.. At least down here anyway. Course ur location says Anna, Anna TX?? :mrgreen: Sounds like you done a fine job.
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Calling snows.....

Postby Honkers41 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:54 pm

Bud....i'm not an expert but...i've never called a flock of that size in...what ussally happens is....a small flock breaks off maybe10 or less and we get to wack'em....if the whole flock sets up and drops down...thats your sign to take'em!!!! don't wait for the whole flock to set their feet...cause it won't happen unless your in a area that has'nt had much pressure and i'm thinking this time of year...they've have....now back to calling....let the player play the whole time....as you can call also...doing your dog barks and feeding calls....till their under the gun....i'm sure a small flock will breakoff and come in..the smaller flocks are easier to call in....i've hunted on the Delaware Bay on the east coast.....for many years and we only get the small flocks to commit to our calls as the larger flocks go on....just my 2 cents..Honkers41....goodluck....!!!!1
Honkers41
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum