need to know about snow geese

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

need to know about snow geese

Postby goosedowner » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:22 am

Ok me and some friends set out about 500-600 decoys with the majority of them behind us with a line of them coming from them and going to the little pothole in front of us making it look like they are walking to the water. What i need to know is that we have a bunch of geese that set up on us circle a couple of times and then land in another field. what should we do. Also how far should you limit your shots on geese if they are not coming into your spread. :help:
Fire Up The Grill Cuz Deer Huntin Aint Catch & Release

Confucuis Say, "He who Hunt Good...Eat Good"
goosedowner
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:46 am

OK, lets start from square one being there are too many variables and clarify.

Behind means upwind. So the majority of the decoys are upwind, right? and you are facing down wind, right?

So what is the "with a line of them coming from them and going to the little pothole in front of us making it look like they are walking to the water" mean? Do you mean that you have the decys walking single file to the water facing down wind while they are walking?

Also what type of decoys are you using?

Any chance you have pic of the overall setup?
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goosedowner » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:06 pm

They are not single file they are just kind of spread out with some around the water and some of them in the water. and the way the wind is blowing has no effect on the geese that are landing there. The wind was coming form the south and the geese were landing with the wind rather than against the wind. We are using rags and silos. So they all can change with the wind. The pit is right in the middle of them and we are in the mississippi river bottoms so the wind can change directions when ever. But if you have another suggestion let me know. The geese that we see on the ground arent in any formation so it is hard to mimic them.

goosedowner
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:22 pm

That is strange that they are appraoching with the wind as waterfowl usually will always land into the wind if there is a wind as it makes for an easier landing for them. Good to hear that you have decoys in the water as the water/field set up can be very deadly. Are you keeping the decoys out all the time? Reason I ask, is I have bit of reservation of them getting used to the decoys. Remmeber decoys purpose is to lure them into within shooting range, and if the lure is gone because of they are accustomed to them, the attraction is then gone.

Remember Snows are not at all like Honkers or Specks that will readily commit. If you can break off a family group to come in at 35 yds--let 'em have it. Granted at times they will comes in like Honkers with feet stretched out and landing, but the vast majority of the time they won't. Also if circling at say 40 yds and it is the 2nd swing, odds are they will not be coming in closer. It seems more times the 3rd or 4th pass they are out further. So that 2nd swing they is not coming any closer, so shoot at 1st or by 2nd passby in my experience, or if out of range, that is hunting and maybe another flock with be different result. That is why they call is hunting VS shooting. :mrgreen:

Lastly, as too how far. Hmmmm. Well I suggest looking at the topics in the Shooting forum. A couple are very pertinent to this. I am real good short range (to 40yds) and a better than average long range shooter, and I will shoot to 65yds, but I have loads and chokes that ballistically can kill that far, and the confidence (experince) in my shooting abilty to shoot that far. But most guys are poor shooters past 40 yds. So the question One needs to ask One self is 3 fold when pass shooting (+40yds): Do I have the right loads? the right chokes? (meaning have had done patterning, etc.) And the personal shooting ability to shoot at higher birds? All 3 must be a yes answer. Basically know your personal limits.

Oh BTW, are the decoys a mix of Snows/Blues matching the ratios of the flocks there? As guys with Snows only in the MS flyway will not do as well as those using mixed. (geese are sliding off way more often with Snows only spreads) I personally use at least 50% blues now.

I hope I was of some help. And hopefully a few other experienced members here will also post up about their experiences too. :thumbsup:
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby goosedowner » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:42 am

We move the decoys every time we go out there so they never look the same and also the club that i work at has had theres out since the beginning of goose season and they are still going in there like it was gold so i dont know. The geese on are field have been going in there without decoys should we try pulling the decoys or should we leave them out and hunt a different pit or get under were they have been going and shoot them as they circle the field.

goosedowner
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:16 am

Why not hunt the field they are feeding in? Sounds like you are running traffic on them, that is never as good as being in the field that they want to be in.
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum