Decoying snows in a candian/snow spread

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Decoying snows in a candian/snow spread

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:04 am

Ok so ive heard a lot of mixing the two doesn't work. But than again ive heard it does. my crew has tried it and weve never had luck. its like the canadians and snows both avoid it in the field when we have them both in our spread even when flocks in our area get mixed come december. I have 2 dozen snow shells about 70 silosocks and prob 6 dozen canadian fbs between all our crew. Ive heard its not a good idea to mix them together in the field but rather have to separate spreads next to each other. weve tried both and have had no luck. Can someone help with some advice on how to set the spread up?
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Re: Decoying snows in a candian/snow spread

Postby bigling97 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:23 am

I have 4 snows in a field that I hunt mixed in with the cans. See them flying with canadas too.
bigling97
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 am

Early in the season I always see a handfull of snows mixed with the Canadas. The trick might be to keep it to a 1/2 doz or less the Canadas seem to tollerate a few.. Any more and they seem to separate. You'll probably pull some pairs and triples with such a setup but bigger flocks will still skirt the spread.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:09 pm

I talked to a guide a few weeks ago on a canada goose hunt and he said they ran into a dry spell last season for about a week during the snow conservation season. He said the birds were there but the snows were weary on the snow goose spreads. They than gathered all theyr snows and put them into the field with canada fbs behind the snows. He said he drove around for two days scouting and found snows decoying into canadas (im guessing the obvious because they feel it is safe, even though the canadas hate them) will land behind the canadas and walk through them or else land ahead of canadas. He said it turned theyre season around and they had 3 100 snow goose days during the next week of hunts. Since im low on cash and can prob afford only another 100 snow deeks il try this out in a few weeks and be sure to post some results.
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum