Sounds so dumb it just might work!!

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Sounds so dumb it just might work!!

Postby goldhunter470 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:33 pm

Has anyone out there ever used full body mirrors when hunting snows? I know hunting over decoys is preferred, but deserate men do desperate things. I have heard of guys putting handles on the back and walking right up to the flock. The geese look and just see more geese. I was going to try it out this weekend and test my luck!! :salude:
Input that enables becomes thoughts that smother.
goldhunter470
hunter

Postby _Mike_ » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:53 pm

hmm,,Wonder if the glare would flair
Is dat duck comein toward us or away from us?? Who threw tha gate down to soon?
_Mike_
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:35 pm

I'd have to see it to believe it myself. But what the heck, go for it! And report back to us how it worked.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckdog » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:27 am

A few years ago in Outdoor Life they had a portable three sided blind for sale that had some sort of a mirror thing on it. It looked pertty cool, and you could'nt see the guy he was hid so well. But in a magazine ad there going to make it look good. I would think the glare of the sun would really hurt you if you were stalking that way. Do it on a cloudy day. Good luck
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby goldhunter470 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:29 pm

Well it's March 20th and I haven't been out once!! It looks like the cold weather should break in the next week but NE and SD got hit hard this weekend. I hope they don't just fly through!! But I still am going to try the mirrors!! I think if you stalked with the sun to your back or on a cloudy day it might work. What's the worst that could happen.... I look stupid carrying a full body mirror with no geese or I just look stupid with no geese... either way it beats working!!
Input that enables becomes thoughts that smother.
goldhunter470
hunter

mirrors

Postby marshwhacker » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:25 pm

i've never heard of mirror stalking before but i know in some magazine they have some one sided cows and you get on the back side and stalk up to the snow they think its just a cow that eating in the same field they are
marshwhacker
hunter

Postby bushman_3069 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:23 pm

hey i have been hunting snow geese for along time now i have about 7doz wind sock canada and i use them for snow to just filp them inside out and there work relly good and i use in my spead some white plastic bags thaty ever time i go up to churchill manitoba to hunt for 3 days ic ome back with over a hunders geese all the time try it out it will works
bushman_3069
Newb

??

Postby rodlittle » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:26 pm

Any update on this method? Thinking about trying something new out this spring.
rodlittle
Newb

Re: Sounds so dumb it just might work!!

Postby mudhencoot » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:16 am

In my younger days I often thought of putting my full body canada decoys on mirrors to try and make it appear that I had more decoys than I really did but my mother got curious when I started pulling mirrors off the wall
mudhencoot
account permanently suspended for multiple user names

Re: Sounds so dumb it just might work!!

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:52 am

I have an old waterfowl hunting guide that decribes the mirror technique (copyright in the 60s)

They do make a portable folding blind with a mirror finish on one side and camo on the other. The thing I noticed in the store is that while they did reflect back the carpet they still had a dicernable shine. It was like I could see the reflected background but still see through that to the silvery mirror background. Maybe it's different in natural light.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum