decoy help

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

decoy help

Postby bingly » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi i am looking to buy some cheap snow goose decoys. the cheapest i have found are texas socks for 100 for $30 and the stakes are an additional $30. Anyone know of any cheaper? I would also like to mix in some full bodies. Also, how many do you think that i will need? I will be hunting in either a corn field or a hay field.

Thanks
2011-2012 Hunting Stats:
Ducks:4
Geese:
Deer:
Bear:
Turkey:
Varmints: 5
bingly
hunter

Re: decoy help

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:40 pm

That is about the cheapest you can find them, unless you find some used windsocks on craigslist. If I was starting over again, I would be 10 dozen economy silosocks and start out hunting with those 120. 120 will pull them down if you are where the birds want to be.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Re: decoy help

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:07 pm

You can get the bulk pack of economy silosocks for about $135/50. I know thats not cheaper but they will last you longer then the texas rags. A lot depends on where you are.I'm in ND. I added some texas rags as fillers in my spread one many years back year and had trouble getting the birds to commit. My best guess is because of the noise they made in moderate to heavy winds. I'd pull the rags and the geese would come right in. But thats just my experience. Tanglefree and rogers brand (probably tanglefrees) are the cheapest full bodies. I v'e run 10 dz shells, 10 dz northwinds and 5 dz silos and it's sometimes hit and miss for drawing birds. Again it depends on where you are.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum