Field Rag Stakes

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Field Rag Stakes

Postby CutEmMS » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:26 pm

I recently aquired an area to hunt during our light goose conservation order in MS. I'm new to snow goose hunting so any tips are appreciated. I bought 100 blue goose rags and 100 snow goose rags and plan on buying a few dozens shells to start out. My question is, is there an alternative way to make decoy stakes or is it cheaper to buy the 100 pack of wooden dowel stakes for 50 bucks? Any info appreciated.

Thanks
CutEmMS
hunter

Re: Field Rag Stakes

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:28 am

Maybe shop around for some aluminum rod that is stiff enough to use as stakes. I found a place by my Uncle and got an incredible deal on some aluminum that I cut into 18 inch stakes.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby CutEmMS » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:42 pm

I appreciate the idea :beer: I ended up going to the hardware store and found some steel insulation support rods. They are 2 foot rods, they come 100 per pack for about 10 bucks. Im gonna try these out with the first 100 rags im rigging up and see how they work.....They are definitely rigid enough but i dont know if they are long enough.
CutEmMS
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:23 pm

i hear number 9 wire works.. i cant vouch for it tho ive never tried it and im not sure the pricing on it
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby SQUAWKnemi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:25 pm

CutEmMS wrote:I appreciate the idea :beer: I ended up going to the hardware store and found some steel insulation support rods. They are 2 foot rods, they come 100 per pack for about 10 bucks. Im gonna try these out with the first 100 rags im rigging up and see how they work.....They are definitely rigid enough but i dont know if they are long enough.

if they are still short and if your hunting corn just stick the rods into stocks... in pa we end up doing it anyway because the beginning of the spring season the ground can still be frozen and drilling that many holes to put the rods in well as u can guess stinks
Some QUack And We Kill
SQUAWKnemi
hunter

Postby marhunter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:08 pm

we bought flag markers from home depot for our texas rags, ripped the little flag off and then we had a 22" thin rod. It's not ideal but for 7$ per 100 it fits the wallet. Because they are so thin they bend fairly easy, but they go into the ground even when frozen because of the small surface area. hope this helps
marhunter
Newb

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum