What 1 thing did you learn this Spring season?

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

What 1 thing did you learn this Spring season?

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:38 pm

Or perhaps would not to do again.

Get nonrefundable deposit from guys that want to go with. I had 3 guys that said they were going, all 3 backed out-- since they had no equipment, blinds, decoys, or truck and trailer I was expecting them to help pay the fuel and motel. So it sucked royally when I paid it all out my pocket. Cash talks-BS walks.

I have learned that you do not need an ecaller to shoot spring geese.

I also learned I need a different cart to haul decoys into soft muddy fields.
It just about killed me last week using the cart as it took 2.5 hours to go 1/4 mile with the load and soft mud Arggghhhh!!!

How about you guys? Please share with the rest of us your thoughts. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2 tollers » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:54 pm

Nice looking birds. Is that one on the top role on the right a juvenille? I got a few whites last November and only 1 was that springs bird and it was in poor shape.

For soft fields I use a full frame pack. I strap the blind on first then fill the inside of the blind with decoys. Strap again over top. Onto the back and walk out. This is alot easier than pulling a cart. 2 trips and take out about 5 dz full bodies and the blind.
Only problem is sometimes it is 3 or 4 trips back as the geese that decided not to fly away can really add to the load.

Hugh
2 tollers
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:18 pm

i love the cart thing cause i did it too. what i did is go get a set of what the tire guy called balloon tires they are half as tall as the bike tires but they are wide so they dont sink what i did is set them up with a retaining clip so i can switch as when the ground is dry or chisel plowed the bike tires are much easier. but here is what i learned with a friend. if you are hunting with newbies fpr ducks dont call the shot when they are mixed in with the robos. cause they shoot the closest bird. u know the one that is spinning not back pedalin. oh and dont feel sorry for the dog and give him breakfast burritos while he is in a layout with yah it gets stinky. sorry it doesnt relate to spring snows but its still good lessons
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby scott m ward » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:48 am

Our conservation season in Illinios runs until March 31st. I learned that it was a total WASTE OF TIME to hunt central Illinois after February, as all the birds are gone! We went 3 times in March (different spots of course) and didnt see a single snow,blue or ross! I used to start fishing the begining fo march and I think that is a smarter way to go! :toofunny:
scott m ward
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:41 pm

2 tollers wrote:Nice looking birds. Is that one on the top role on the right a juvenille?

No. Top row, the 3 on the left are Ross geese, the the other 2 are adult Snows. Bottom row are Blue Geese, and the middle one is a juvi and the 2 on the outside are adults. They Juvi Blue was Buzz's 1st retrieve ever in a hunting situation.
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Hoosier Drake » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:14 pm

I learn that N.W. Indiana has more Snows after the season then during it.
Cuz hunting ain't catch and release.
Hoosier Drake
hunter

Postby 2 tollers » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:41 pm

h2ofwlr wrote: They Juvi Blue was Buzz's 1st retrieve ever in a hunting situation.

You could not set up a better first hunt for a dog than white geese in a stubble field - lots of noise & excitement, when they fall they stick out on the ground real well so they are easy to mark and if wounded the birds are not of a size that will intimidate a dog.

Great for you and Buzz.

Hugh
2 tollers
hunter

Postby whitefeather » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:18 am

I learned that the big bunches are getting bigger and they are getting harder to kill. I learned that if you get a shot at two or three...you better be blasting cause the rest are not going to finish.....I miss the mid 90's when they would drop into sandbags and clorox bottles.
whitefeather
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:46 pm

You mean the '70s WF., at least up here in the northern prairies. By mid 80s the guys were going to windsocks already, biut were esily getting limits in the fall, remember it was 5 aq day, then went to 7 a day, and finally 10 by earlier 90s, but I noticed at times them getting fairly wise by early 90s even to socks/shell spreads.
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum