Give it to me straight, is it useless east of the Hudson?

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Give it to me straight, is it useless east of the Hudson?

Postby Recoil Rob » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:35 pm

I belong to a club that leases about 1500 acres of cornfields in Dutchess County NY, this is over by the CT border. Myself and a few other guys want to make a serious attempt at snow geese this year, we have commitments to go in on about 4-500 sillosock dekes. Question is will we be wasting our time? I see no reports of snows in the New England states. I have heard some stories of sightings east of the Hudson but nothing confirmed. Would we be wasting our time?
Recoil Rob
hunter

Re: Give it to me straight, is it useless east of the Hudson?

Postby samoleon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Recoil Rob, I have been hunting on the hudson on the Ulster county side for over 30 years. I also live right by the river. Normally the snows I see passing through my area going north & south are way high with no intension of stopping. Over the 30 years I have only shot maybe 6 snows & they were all singles. If it were me I would not make the investment unless you are going to hunt snows somewhere else also that has a good population of birds.
samoleon
Newb

Postby Recoil Rob » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks for your honesty, we may have to reconsider making the investment only if we can find spots to set up further west. Any idea how far west we'd have to go? Is the Delaware river flyway productive?
Recoil Rob
hunter

Postby Honkers41 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Ive hunted the greater snows on the east coast from north Pa to southern Nj and can tell you,the Delaware river is no good for snowgeese.if you want to kill greaters on the eastside then you better look at north Pa and south Jersey,right now Pa is holding aleast 200,000 snows scattered up north, southjersey is awsome and you can really get into them,but its hard hunting,but a lot of farmers will give you permission aslong as you ask and are polite.North Pa is much different most locals have the north buttoned and its hard to gain permission.Honkers41
GUNS~UP~FEATHERS~DOWN~!
Love My Mossbergs!!
Honkers41
hunter

Postby duckstruck » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Snow goose hunting in CT is not good at all. :no:
duckstruck
hunter

Postby samoleon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Don't hunt NY for the snows so don't know exactly were their staging spots are. I hunt Jersey for them. I'm head down next week for a 4 day hunt.
samoleon
Newb

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum