Spring snow versus fall snow !

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Spring snow versus fall snow !

Postby teal2008 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:05 am

Which one is the best ?

Here the fall hunt is really good if they are lot's of juvy ! The snow come easily , they are not decoys shy... Usually we shoot between 15 to 40 yard. Maybe we see less birds, but they are easier to hunt.

In the spring, you see lot's of birds, but they have been hunt for the last 8 month, so it's really hard to make them come to the spread! The average shooting is done between 35 to 50 yards.

Is it the same in the state? Is this the same with the lesser and the ross?

Here we hunt mostly greater.

teal 2008
teal2008
hunter

Re: Spring snow versus fall snow !

Postby handyandy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:13 am

Can't you guys use e callers in the fall?
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby teal2008 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:23 am

Yes we use e-caller for the fall season and the spring !
teal2008
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:46 am

I wish we could use a e caller n the fall as well I would probably spend all the fall waterfowl season hunting snows as well rather than just the spring cause ducks always seem to like my snow decoys as well as they do duck decoys.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby FowledReality » Wed May 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Due to the warm winter, we were forced to hunt snow geese in December and January last year. It's a different ball game without the ecaller! We would run a mix of snow and speck decoys with at least 4 guys calling. We killed a decent number. You definitely don't see the same number as you do in the spring, but they seem a little less weary since they haven't been hunted as long as when you get after them in February. For all the work it takes to hunt snows, I'd have to go with the spring. After hours of decoy setting, I want to be able to use an ecaller to make an attempt at leveling the playing field.
FowledReality
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum