Wants to start Hunting Snows

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Wants to start Hunting Snows

Postby luie b » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Ok, I wanna try it. I keep seeing tons of snows this spring in my area and hearing about guys shooting them and everything how fun it is and stuff so now I want to start a spread for next spring. What's a beginner snow spread because it seems guys in our area don't hunt over that huge of spreads, mostly like 100-200 texas rags. Can you hunt them without the e-caller with a normal call or do i need the electronics? I'm just wondering because it sounds like this would be an awesome way to use my gear more and to gain an extra 2 months chasing waterfowl :biggrin:
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Re: Wants to start Hunting Snows

Postby Honkers41 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Hunting snows is hard even with all the tools we have...even with scouters is the hardiest hunting you"ll ever do it takes a lot of energy and good dedicated friends to be 25% sucessfull.You"ll need aleast 400 deks to pull flocks off the traffics areas and yes e-callers are very important ,next to your deks. But the most important is your hide,how you will hide the blinds cause snows will circle you for mins just trying to pick something out of placement.But you can get away without e-callers if you have aleast 5 other guys calling to the incomming geese..Hope I helped alittle..remember you need dedicated guys or gals to hunt snows and then some..
GUNS~UP~FEATHERS~DOWN~!
Love My Mossbergs!!
Honkers41
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Wed May 09, 2012 8:21 am

I am also new to the snow goose scene. My plan this year is to start of small. I am thinking about getting a couple dozen snow decoys for this fall. My goal is to pull a few misdirectioned snows into my canada spread, which will look amazing with some snows in the mix. I have had snows decoy to canadas and canada calls but the were very small flocks between 3-10. I purchased a Sean Mann White Out call, to learn on for now. For the spring hunt I am hoping to have probably an additional 4 dozen to my 2 dozen I am going to purchase for the fall. Still that only gives me 72 decoys. :hammer: My goal is to target the small flocks that no-one cares about until I can build up my spread or find a hunting buddy that knows that they are doing. :biggrin:
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Postby FowledReality » Wed May 09, 2012 8:34 pm

We've killed a few snows over a canada goose spread. We've killed way more over mixing specks in with canada decoys. We started with 300 rags and a 1 speaker ecaller and killed a few. That was 4 years ago. This past season we ran anywhere between 800-1000 sillosocks and sihlouettes with a couple dozen fliers. If you're going to do it, your best bet would be to get a few buddies to go in with you to get started. Get what you can afford. Scout your butt off and spend extra time hiding and you'll kill some geese.

You can kill some snows with a handfull of guys blowing snow calls. If the ecaller is legal, USE IT! Even if it's an ipod off a mini amp with one speaker. Anything is better than nothing.

Be prepared to get angry very quickly! But no matter how much anger and frustration you always come back for more. There's just something about "whitey"!
FowledReality
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat May 12, 2012 9:34 pm

I'm going to try to get texas rags and some silo socks but i'm going to try to keep my spread under $150 for the year because I don't want to spend too much money starting out. I'll probably try to buy used stuff so I can get more bang for my buck, too. I'm just really anxious to lengthening my "waterfowl addiction phase" of the year because it'll give me something to do in the time between the end of canada goose season and turkey season and I always like observing snows and waterfowl in that spring migration time of year.
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon May 14, 2012 7:20 am

I will and do pull down snow geese using a small spread of 100 to 250 decoys if I am where they want to be. But definitely one of the best tools of the trade when decoying snows is a e-caller in the spring. You can make or find a pretty cheap one especially now during the off season.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby ilbucksndux » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Old thread I know but here's my two cents. If you spend money on Texas rags you are gonna regret it in a year or so.Trust me I did it. You can find Econo Sillosocks on ebay direct from Jim Jones for around $39 a dozen. My experience hunting up around your neck of the woods is a spread of around 100 quality decoys birds will decoy. One day this past spring we killed 40 over 36 decoys. Yes hunting snows is a numbers game but in an area such as where you are there are every other field is not holding 20,000 live birds so when they see decoys they will give you a good hard look. OR you could find the birds,get permission and call a guy (hint hint) that has all the equipment and you will be hooked and buying yourself a big spread
ilbucksndux
hunter

Postby luie b » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 pm

ilbucksndux wrote:Old thread I know but here's my two cents. If you spend money on Texas rags you are gonna regret it in a year or so.Trust me I did it. You can find Econo Sillosocks on ebay direct from Jim Jones for around $39 a dozen. My experience hunting up around your neck of the woods is a spread of around 100 quality decoys birds will decoy. One day this past spring we killed 40 over 36 decoys. Yes hunting snows is a numbers game but in an area such as where you are there are every other field is not holding 20,000 live birds so when they see decoys they will give you a good hard look. OR you could find the birds,get permission and call a guy (hint hint) that has all the equipment and you will be hooked and buying yourself a big spread

I've never been snow goose hunting before (last year was my first season of duck/goose hunting) but I've seen guys' spreads from the road before and it seems like most guys don't use as many as I hear about in other areas of the country. And yea, I may have to give "that guy" a call some time this season. But I don't know how far down state you are. But I'm definitely gonna start a small spread this year because the time of year for snow goose hunting is really boring for me usually so it should really spice things up. I also have a $200 check coming some time this fall/winter paying me for a muzzlelaoder deer hunting article I got published this spring. I knew as soon as I got that acceptance letter that the money I was gettin paid would go to hunting stuff :lol3:
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby Ryd3r » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:46 pm

I have been thinking and I think I am going to go with socks over full bodies for numbers you can get 10 doz for $350 at rodgers. Split it with a few buddies and you have a nice setup.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first." - Ernest Hemmingway
Ryd3r
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum