california snow goose hunting

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

california snow goose hunting

Postby spoonysmaker » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:32 am

So lastyear halfway through the season my hunting partners and I decided to start targeting geese as well as ducks. So we bought 1 1/2 dozen floaters some shells and a few fullbodies. We ended up getting into a few flocks here and there. Since we don't have any private land we are stuck with hunting the northern valley refuges. We ended up pulling probably around 40 geese between the 3 of us. This off season we have ended up with 24 speck shells, 16 speck full bodies, 68 snow goose shells, 39 snow floaters, 36 snow silosocks, 8 blue goose floaters, 4 blue goose shells, 11 honker shells, and 8 honker butts. Looking for some advice on what else you guys think might help out in the marsh.
spoonysmaker
hunter

Re: california snow goose hunting

Postby redsled600 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 am

Have fun packing out half those decoys to a refuge man haha but my best of luck refuge hunting for geese is floaters, especially on a open water blind or free roam setup, floaters visibly out in the water will get the geese lookin at the spread
redsled600
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:31 pm

We ran 7 snow goose floaters that were canada goose or magnum mallard repaints and had 4 flocks (specks and snows) work us in 2 hunts. The big thing was that I was calling at them, albeit poorly, with a snow goose call. From everything I've read you can really hammer the specks if you can speak their language.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby duckNgoosehntr » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:55 pm

What refuges are you hunting at? Could possible help with info.
duckNgoosehntr
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum