Missouri River Snow Goose Hunting

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Missouri River Snow Goose Hunting

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:33 pm

I live in WI and really want to go on a snow goose hunt. I was wondering if the Missouri river is a good place to try. IM NOT TRYING TO TAKE UR SPOT. Just wondering if some kids could go out there and kill some geese. Also what kind of spread would u set out I figure full bodies on the shore and alot of floaters but how many does it take on water? If ur gonna bitch about me asking this question, even though im not asking for spots just asking if it would be worth it, please dont reply. Thanks
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Re: Missouri River Snow Goose Hunting

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:38 pm

Might try the state forum.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 am

Where on the missouri would you hunt? You could probably pull some traffic with a good spread on a migration day, but why not just scout and set up in an area holding birds or in a good flightline?

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:55 am

Around southern ND or Northern Iowa. So not in the heart of it. I guess around where I am its hard to get on fields because people say no or someone else is already hunting it. I have heard that snow geese can be easier to hunt on water too. I figured a lot of birds would go to fields and then return to the river midday. Tell me if my logic is totally scewed to please.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:28 pm

The river isn't the best migration corridor. The biggest flights of birds usually move north through the eastern half of the state. Some years the missouri will have wads of birds, some years barely any.
Private property isn't too hard to get on in the spring. Book a two or three day hunt with a guide if you don't already own a decoy spread and then you'll truely know if building a spread is what you want to invest in.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum