average shot range for snows

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

average shot range for snows

Postby quack wackr » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:41 pm

what is the range you guys are typically shooting at snows ? i see some videos where it looks like guys are shootin at birds there are 75 yards away , is this wha everybodys does ? just unload at theme way up there and hope to get a couple ?
quack wackr
hunter

Re: average shot range for snows

Postby BenellisbeII » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:51 pm

Alot of shots are in the 30-50 yard range. From my experiences it doesnt take much to knock a snow goose out of the air, not very tough birds.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:04 pm

I would say the 20 to 50 yard range. I prefer to have them tornadoing into the spread but if I have to pass shoot, I will.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:59 am

I've had days where if we didn't call the shot at 50-60 we would go home without firing a shot. Then there is days where they finish to the boot bags. I'd say my typical shot range would be 20-30 yards, but I don't hunt much until we have smaller pockets of juvies left.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:31 am

You can't judge by those videos. Depending on what lense they have the perspective is out of proportion. Even in zoom mode a bird at 20 yards may look like it is 50.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:18 am

The longest shot I have made on a snow was probably almost 80 yards but that was complete luck shooting at a big flock flying kind of low. Typically when actually hunting I will shoot from 30 to 50 yards the 50 being the last few birds that are flying away or when they don't want to come in any closer. And I'm not joking about the almost 80 yard shot idk how it happened I just shot into a big flock for the hell of it cause I hate snows and got lucky it was all luck I will admit and not a range I would normally try shooting at. I was duck hunting a small lake and there were no ducks in site when the flock of snows flew over and I figured I would try and got lucky.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:57 am

My experience on several guided snow goose hunts is average shot is 40 yards plus. It's a lot higher than I am used to shooting canadas.
skybusterbob
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum