Duck Hunting Forum banner

Snow Goose E-Caller * DIY*

22K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Ndwildman 
#1 ·

The Amplifier: Pyle PLMPA35 2 Channel 300 Watt Mini Amplifier with 3.5mm Input was about $18. The speakers: Pyle PHSP4 6-Inch Indoor / Outdoor 50 Watts PA Horn Speaker were $17.00. The battery was $20. 50ft 3.5mm Stereo Headphone Extension Cable - M/F $4.29 Everything was bought on Amazon.com.

I plan on painting the toolbox white. I used 3.5mm ext. cords to run speakers out, quick and easy.

The application I use on the I-phone is "Snow Goose E-caller" https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/snow-goose-e-caller/id498488885?mt=8 $1.99

To make my battery last, I use a Mophie Juice Pack to power the phone.

See less See more
#4 ·
I had to order a new amp. While wiring it, i accidentally bump a wire and popped the fuse. Unfortunately, before the fuse popped it fried something inside. Smoke rolled out!!! It still plays, but inly for 30seconds. Once warm, it kicks off. Dang the luck!!

#6 ·
In my opinion, after playing around with some of these mini amps this winter, 15 watts rms isn't enough power to run even my 20 watt horn speakers if I want any kind of clean sound at volume.
I loved the idea of the mini amps for the remotes and sd card slot, but they just don't have enough power for what i'm looking for in an amp. Fun units for close range predator calls and for my ice shack though!

Sent from my DROID Pro

#8 ·
The app sounds good, it has sounds for Small Flock 10-20 geese, med flock 20-100 and Large flock. The large flock sounds like a refuge, kind of ridiculous IMO.

As far as the "Amp not pushing enough watts or being loud enough" It is plenty loud. Now hopefully, I don't screw this one up and fry it... :thumbsup:

#10 ·
It's not so much the watts per channel as it is the quality. I'. No audiophile but i've found that cheap amps that only put out 15-20 watts rms struggle to remain static and distortion free at higher volume. There is a reason some guides pay big money to get studio tracked e-caller sounds and match those to 50 watt speakers off of quality amps. Personally, i'm looking at upgrading my 20 watt horns to 30's and matching that with a good 4 channel amp at 30 watts rms with a high signal to noise ratio and a low thd. I just want to make sure if I have to crank up the volume I don't get any distortion. I don't need a 1000 watt boomer though!

Sent from my DROID Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.