spring snows in malheur oregon

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

spring snows in malheur oregon

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:16 pm

is any one seeing any birds in the area. I have never hunted over there and im wanting to give it a shot just not real sure where to start
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Re: spring snows in malheur oregon

Postby JON » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:25 pm

Scout
JON
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:30 pm

JON wrote:Scout

He is.
pgquackstacker wrote:Maybe you guys can hunt together and touch barrels.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:51 pm

JON wrote:Scout

i live 4 hours away i cant actually afford to drive over and scout if i could thats what i would be doin
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Don't expect others to do your scouting for you.

Redbeard wrote: I simply side step the charging dog and swiftly deliver a judo chop to the back of the neck, temporarily disabling the dog. I then apply a rear naked choke until the dog falls asleep.
3legged_lab
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:14 am

i dont just wanting to know if its worth the trip over there or where i should try looking malheur co. pretty dang big i have family in vale and they dont see many so im trying to figure out were they might be located so i can get over there and start looking or hell mebey even some one to hunt with im just trying to learn somethin new
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:19 am

i also havent been able to find any outfitters in the area that offer any waterfowl hunting
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 am

3legged_lab wrote:Don't expect others to do your scouting for you.

Sounds to me that he's asking if there's any birds in the area not whose field they r in but I'll tell u this ochoco the birds r slowly startn to show in montana so they should b in the malhuer area now. Don't get bummed by some whose even farther from malhuer then u are that's not helping you any by stating the obvious. Noone's gonna give u the specifics but farmers over there hate snows eatn their winter wheat.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:39 pm

thanx i may just have to break down and make the drive over there next weekend and see what there is to see
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:41 pm

Webfootslayer wrote:
Sounds to me that he's asking if there's any birds in the area not whose field they r in but I'll tell u this ochoco the birds r slowly startn to show in montana so they should b in the malhuer area now. Don't get bummed by some whose even farther from malhuer then u are that's not helping you any by stating the obvious.

ochocoelkhntr wrote: I have never hunted over there and im wanting to give it a shot just not real sure where to start

So help him out, tell him where to start.

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:12 pm

Ochoco u may want to put an ad on craigslist for over there & see if that helps you could also call down to the malhuer refuge & ask a bioligist if anythings going on that's a start. So what u got 3legs anything that can actually b useful information or you just gonna bump your gums ochoco sounds like a newcomer to the sport & people like you that just bash em should b really proud of yourselves
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby JON » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Careful.... You are doing more bashing than many. :huh:

My advice was simple and spot on. I could have spent more time and gave a longer reply but many people on this site lack reading comprehension skills. Pretty hard to not understand my original reply. :beer:
JON
hunter

Postby JON » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:59 pm

Looky what I found... :no:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=224011
JON
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:30 pm

webfootslayer thanx for the advice i well definatly do those things this evening i already posted an add for the kfalls area earlier this year and never got any hits but i will give it a shot for eastern oregon

jon at least he is giving helpful advice .. you should take your own about the bashing seems like webfootslayer is jsut haveing the same questions i am about the spring snow goose hunt like are there birds is it worth the 3-4 hour drive are there giudes in the area if so what are some good ones .. im pretty new to the sport this is really my first year i have put any effort into goose hunting and i jsut want to extent my season and learn something new i have no one to learn from and i seem to always learn the hard way i really only have one huntin buddy so i dont really have a big pool of people to look to and your ADVICE of "scout" realy wasnt helpful because i do scout i spent more time than most lookin for animals mostly big game and 99% of the time i can put myself on animals but i know nothing about malheur co and have no clue were to start even looking so when i do go over there this weekend to scout it out i may just spend the hole time driving around because i have no real starting point but if i did find birds and got a few places to hunt i would be willing to take someone with me probly not you though since you have been of no help and in my opinoin have been a little rood .. thank you
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby JON » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Ok... There are no snows yet. They usually show up after the season is over. Was that more helpful?
JON
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Yes.. Thank you
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:41 pm

JON wrote:Looky what I found... :no:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=224011

Lolz

ochocoelkhntr wrote:webfootslayer thanx for the advice i well definatly do those things this evening i already posted an add for the kfalls area earlier this year and never got any hits but i will give it a shot for eastern oregon

jon at least he is giving helpful advice .. you should take your own about the bashing seems like webfootslayer is jsut haveing the same questions i am about the spring snow goose hunt like are there birds is it worth the 3-4 hour drive are there giudes in the area if so what are some good ones .. im pretty new to the sport this is really my first year i have put any effort into goose hunting and i jsut want to extent my season and learn something new i have no one to learn from and i seem to always learn the hard way i really only have one huntin buddy so i dont really have a big pool of people to look to and your ADVICE of "scout" realy wasnt helpful because i do scout i spent more time than most lookin for animals mostly big game and 99% of the time i can put myself on animals but i know nothing about malheur co and have no clue were to start even looking so when i do go over there this weekend to scout it out i may just spend the hole time driving around because i have no real starting point but if i did find birds and got a few places to hunt i would be willing to take someone with me probly not you though since you have been of no help and in my opinoin have been a little rood .. thank you

I stand by my original reply, it wasn't rude or "bashing". It was however truthful and honest. Nobody else is putting diesel in my tank so the info i find while scouting belongs to me.
If all anybody was really looking for was a bird report to see if booking a guide was worthwhile you can look that kind of info up on waterfowl surveys (I'm not telling where, find it yourself), or even better, talk to the guides. Their opinion should be more trusted than some random dude off the internet, right?
I'm sure the craigslist ad will pay off in spades.

I'll help out - the skies are so full of snows its blocking out the sun and every time a landowner sees a guy in camo or with decoys in a truck he flags you down and begs you to come set up in one of his fields. After the hunt he offers you his daughter.

Willing to load up the truck on that intel?

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 pm

So much for tryin to help a new guy out u guys keep overlooking the actual questions I keep asking .. And there is no bird report info that I can find so I'm tryin to do the best I can with what I have
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:16 pm

Would you tell a stranger where to find the elk?

Don't feel bad, I wouldn't.

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:25 pm

i would give them an area to start i may not tell them go to a specific location but def tell them an area to look and thats all im tryin to find ... malheur co is huge and i have no place to start from and how is some one from klamath co goin to help me out any ways
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm not. We already covered this earlier.

3legged_lab
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 am

Call Oregon Fish & Game and ask them.
Last edited by dudejcb on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanx for the info I think I have about 4-5 doz deeks mostly old shells that I painted after regular season ended and to the best of my knowledge e-callers aren't leagle in Oregon and I have been in touch with fish and game last they said there wasn't much I was gonna call again today but got caught up at work plus the 5 hour drive is makin it hard to scout and find fields at the moment I'm gonna try and get over there this week though
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:31 pm

I know a place to pass shoot snows in Malhure county 1st week of november. They all head out in 2 days. If the wind is blowing A bunch of guys could line out on the 5000' ridge and blast away. Same deal farther east, We watched 10's of thousands fly over a couple years at thanksgiving.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum