Snows

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Snows

Postby barryboy08 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Hey everyone...

I have been hunting snows for a couple years now and I never have a whole lot of luck. I hunt over about 400 decoys half shells and half sox. We kill a bird or two here and there with the once every three year 10+ day but what are some pointers you guys could share about getting snows locked up and in your face. Im dedicating my whole spring break to Snows and want to be as prepared as possible. Would adding full bodies be something to consider?
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Re: Snows

Postby SAHunter1983 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Find the X and use an E-caller and bring the volume down as they come in... Did I mention be on the X?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:05 am

Gotta put in the time to scout. Find where they wanna be or intersect their flight path. Can't stress scouting to find the X enough. Even then sometimes it's tough getting birds to cooperate. We usually run 2-500 mixed of silosocks, silos, shells, fullbodies, and some flyers. I'd invest in some magnums if I was you too. Invest in an ecaller or make your own.

If you have 400 dekes, put most your silosocks upwind and with some shells mixed in but put the shells downwind where geese will be landing to look more realistic. With that being said, I can't stress how important time out scouting is. That will help you out a lot.
DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Postby neon58 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:50 pm

:welcome: Simple answer is yes adding fullbodies would help. Also decoying snows will be on the UPWIND side of your spread in most cases unless the wind is really howling. The next question to ask yourself is are the birds you usually hunting passing through or do they tend to stop and stage in your area for at least a week or two? That can be a tough question to answer because of the weather but you know if year in year out birds stop and stay or just stop for a day or two then move on. My current situation is a good example: right now we have tons and tons and tons of birds right now and have had for a while and with all the snow west of of us got will be here for a awhile yet most years while we always have some that stay its usually not real significant and we are hunting daily migrators. My spread is around 400 rags and windsocks and30-40 shells and while not very impressive in this day and age its all I can afford and care to mess with by myself it will pull the daily migrators down for a look but the birds that have been here awhile wont give it a look. Right now if I had 3-4 dozen fullbodies that's all I would be using I would leave the other stuff at home. Downside of fullbodies is cost transportation and storage. Remember to put your best decoys and ecaller speakers where you want to try to kill the birds take your concealment to extremes such az dig your layout in the ground if you can cuz the birds are coming down at you not from the side like Canada's and don't be afraid to adjust to something else. :beer:
neon58
hunter

Postby oktakem » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:08 am

And try to get as far away, if even possible, from the guides. They have awesome sound systems and large spreads of socks and full bodies. They will pull them off of you all day. Adding full bodies or at least a couple dozen of the 5/8 shells would hels greatly. Use the bulk as your focal point like stated above. I've gone back to using a white t-shirt not a layout blind. I'm more and more convinced they see the layout blinds. Unless you can dig a little hole for the layout like stated above leave it at home. I've heard of guys waiting for the bulk of geese, and therefore the guides, to move on and then hunting them pretty hard and being successfull. A lot of people have good ideas, try some and see what works for you.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:23 am

Good hide and good sound, good weather, and good scouting. FB dekes wont help you shoot more birds if they can see you or your blinds at 100 yards.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Its tough especially here in PA. Every time you find an X within 30 minutes TOPS someone has already lowballed, and jump shot them... well most of the time anyways. I am having lots of trouble too. Its very hard. We only have around 400 dekes too. We do have an e-caller though. Today we had several small flocks cupping up and work us until about 55-60 yds and tjen pull out and leave. No wind tho... that is a killer for snow goose hunting, as so I hear. Which would make sense. Plus socks don't look the best without wind. Snow goose hunting is like a kick in the kahunes. Just when u think u have them figured out... they give ya the finger. They are one smart bird!!
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby bluegoose18 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:30 pm

Turn your caller down and use mouth calls for those last few yards. We always carry a shovel to dig in with and a weed whip with a cutting blade works great to cut those stubborn stalks to hide the blind with. Once they are covered. Take a long walk to observe from a distance the spread and the blinds. If everything is correct you won't see them blinds.
bluegoose18
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm

don't use layout blinds, they;re too high profile. Instead, wear white jacket (and pants) and lay in the middle your main deke spread ... a mass of white. bunch up the dekes where you're laying. Have sparser, smaller spreads off to one or three sides of the main mass, and then just few small family groups here and there, maybe only one or two in a cocuple of spots.

The guys I know put out >2000 socks and sihouettes.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby barryboy08 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:52 am

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! :thumbsup:
Happy Hunting!
barryboy08
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:27 pm

take up golfing, or bocche ball, or shuffle board...
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum