getting permission for private fields

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

getting permission for private fields

Postby eagleheaded » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:53 pm

Not one square acre of rice was planted on our 3000 acre farm this year, largely because year after year there is less and less rice farming in LA, and i was wondering if any of you guys have ever gotten permission to hunt other peoples farms and how did you go about getting permission???
eagleheaded
hunter

Postby QuackerTracker » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Knock on the farmers door. introduce yourself. and ask. I like to carry dog treats in my pocket if they have dogs cause it helps to keep them quite. I also bring candy for any kids that may be at home. It's about making the farmers happy as you are asking. Let them know what fields you plan to hunt and what times. Also let hime know how many are in your party. Farmers don't want a field full of guys with guns. Avoid going during dinner time.

The other option is to stop by as they are coming out of the field. This can be tough as you don't want to get in the guys way when he is working.

Be respectful when speaking and most of the time you will get a yes. don't ask to hunt a field attached to their home. They don't want to hear you shooting.
Once you've had Quack you never go back!
QuackerTracker
hunter

Postby portahunter » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:10 pm

Let me know how it works because down here in Southeast Texas the only way you can get permission to hunt private land is if you flash a little green paper, unless your a family friend. I've never heard of anyone asking permission in my area. It's all buying leases. I'd love to be able to ask permission to hunt private land but it's a waste of time. I've tried it a couple of times. When I asked for permission they told me how much it would cost to hunt their property. Farmers don't see geese as a nusiance down here. They see them with dollar signs in their eyes because they know where the geese go so will the hunters.
portahunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:48 pm

That's too bad, but am afraid that trend is spreading.

I just knock on the door or catch them in the field. Always be extra polite, offer some of your take, and promise to clean up after yourself. Slob hunters have ruined many a good spot for the rest of us. I also don't show up wearing camo, I think it just makes you look too eager or greedy.

If he says no, you can look elsewhere or politely ask why. I got into a few after a no by promising not to hunt until after deer season.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:58 am

Always ask permission, posted or not. You can also try asking really early before the season starts. You may also offer part of what ever you get, or offer help with stacking wood or whatever. Usually the farmers give you permission if you offer something in return, but rarely take you up on the offer. After the season if you have been there a lot, and/or done well, drop off a bottle of wine, or a case of beer. That always keeps you in their memory the following year.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum