E caller DIY

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

E caller DIY

Postby Boomstck63 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:28 pm

I'm looking to make an e caller. I'm wanting to run to horn speakers from RadioShack with about a hundred feet of speaker wire on each. I am looking to run it off of a car battery or a law mower battery for the power. I plan on using an auxiliary cord with an iPod for the sound. I need to know what to get for a amp. I am not electronically smart to be honest I need to know what amp is affordable and will produce a clean quality sound. And where I can purchase this right now I have one speaker a iPod and the RadioShack mini amp but I don't like the sound quality of it. This is my first year snow goose hunting on my own if I'm going to be getting into this I'm not going to waste my time with things that don't work. Please help me out.
Boomstck63
hunter

Re: E caller DIY

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:20 pm

We just made and e-caller ourselves. We have a Pyle 400 watt amp with two 50 watt power horn speakers. Amazon... RadioShack... But deffinately amazon. Nice and clear and works fine. Runs off of an ipod with Snowbait cd downloaded onto it. All put into a compact case... Real nice piece we made. Costed about 150 bucks.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:09 pm

If you buy a 4 channel amp, select an amp that has equal or more RMS watts per channel to your speaker size. Example id you select 30watt horns, select an amp that has at least 30 watts rms per channel. If you buy a 2 channel amp, make sure you get one that is 4 ohm stable. Then you have the option of running two speakers per channel in parallel, as long as each speaker is rated at 8 ohms.
Radioshack may not be the cheapest option for speakers depending on the size either.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Boomstck63 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks guys I just ordered everything I will need.
Boomstck63
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:53 am

I just use a mini stereo boombox with 6 d batterieswith CD and input jack cost $19 and with the remote I turn it on when the geese are within 100 yds and it gets the job done without going insane or breaking your eardrums with the feeding noise.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:45 am

i used a 7.2 amp hr. battery, with a fuseable link on the hot side, a pyle mini amplifier, waterproof box, and 2 50 watt pa speakers. it works pretty good lol.
Attachments
Photo03121502_2.jpg
Photo03121502_2.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum