How many miles do Snows like to fly?

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

How many miles do Snows like to fly?

Postby 870 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:39 pm

When Snows migrate, is there any normal amount of miles they will travel in the course of a day like 50, 100, 150 miles? Do they feed before they migrate? Or just get up and take off and not stop until they feed late in the afternoon? I've heard them on moon lit nights going over the house. How does that play in when you try to estimate on where they will be, so as to get ahead of them?
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Re: How many miles do Snows like to fly?

Postby REM1100 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:37 am

It usually takes a week to move the geese 100 miles in Canada when they start to migrate or it depends on the food supply and weather changes. They will fly in a full moon long distances until they find a new roost rest up then go feed.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm

They will fly all day if conditions are right.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:37 pm

Yep, they are able to fly for 2 or 3 days without stopping if the conditions are with them. If you figure they cruise at about 40 - 60 miles an hour... that is 960 - 1440 miles in a 24 hour period. BUT.. they don't always fly in a perfectly straight line, fight cross winds, and they loop around, backtrack and do all kinds of stuff we'll never understand. Its really dependent on the weather.

When you see them way up as high as you've ever seen them... they're way gone doing the 1000 mile day. If they're low, then chances are they're only going a somewhere less than an hour away. 60 miles or less. A good rule is they often follow waterways up and down the flyway. The other thing is you never know if they're starting or ending the 1000 mile trek... they could drop down into the next field for the night.

Get out a map and look (in the direction they were moving) for lakes, rivers or coastline with farm fields or bird sanctuaries nearby and that's probably where they've gone.

Once I was watching a flock move over my area for about a week or so and I couldn't find where they we're coming and going.. turned out they we're dropping into a small corn field about 5 miles from me. I spent days driving 60 miles out looking... lol.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:36 am

I harvested a SNOW Goose that flew over 3800 miles to get shot by me........so sad , finding out what the band said !

One thing , it didn't have to fly all the way back home .......that made me happier ! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
3200 man
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum