Duck Hunting Forum banner

DISMAL REPORT!

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  BLACK ADDER 
#1 ·
Have been hunting snows the last four weeks right next to the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia. So far, we have seen one snow, and a bizillion Tundra Swans. The snows are not down in lower Va. yet. Does anyone in Virginia have snow geese? We are hoping for an influx this week,with the colder weather and snow forecast. Thanks for any info. :laughing:
P.S. Tundra swans like snow decoy spreads here, so make a positive I.D. before ya shoot. The immature Tundra looks a whole lot like a immature blue or white phase snow goose. :eek:

#2 ·
:welcome: to DHC.

From many reports across the eastern 3/4 of the US, the ducks and geese have been staying much further North than normal. But then again the weather thus far has been quite warm this Fall and Winter. In PA and DC the Irises and Cherry trees were blooming a week ago :eek:

#3 ·
It appears the weather is going to get right nasty this week,especially with high winds from the north. Maybe some of the snows will ride on down to sunny Virginia on a fast tail wind!
By the way,the reason I mentioned snows and their similarity with immature Tundra swans is that a close personal friend of mine blew one away two weeks ago as it WALKED INTO HIS DECOY SPREAD! He reported it,but was not prosecuted because even the Feds are confused over the difference between Tundras and Mutes (immatures) and this walker was dark enough to be a blue phase snow.Still, WE GONNA BE A WHOLE LOT MO' CAREFUL IN THE FUTURE! :laughing:

#7 ·
The good old Game Warden at Cavalier tract put us on the snow goose deal in William's field,saying the place is lousy with them.He also got us hooked up with the foreman for permission to hunt. This is pretty depressing news,but thanks for sharing it.
Any place down in old Princess Anne County (Southern Va Beach) huntable for snows?...Seems like a shame having stamps,decoys, license,etc. and not getting a shot. :getdown:

#8 ·
When I had gotten permission to hunt that area back in September I had grand plans of knocking the snow geese dead in those fields. (That is when I spoke with the farm hands and the forman) I do not know of any other fields for snows. I live just up hwy 17 from the fields and duck hunt out in S. VA Beach area. I see the flocks of snows lifting out of the Back Bay and heading West, but I do not know where they go to.

#10 ·
Hunted both Friday AND Monday.Snuck up on some swans just for fun, but saw no snows either day. Today,though, on the way to work, had a string of maybe 150 snows fly over the VB Hilltop area,south-bound.First I have seen since early January. Just to tease me,of course. :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.