Spring Snow goose hunting?

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Spring Snow goose hunting?

Postby kt_habo24 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:27 am

I have never been snow goose hunting before and would like to give it a shot.I am from michigan and I do not know what the best states are to hunt them in. I would like to go around march 8th to the 17th during my spring break. i was wondering if someone could help me out? give me some advise? or possibly let me know of a cheap/good guide service?
kt_habo24
Newb

Re: Spring Snow goose hunting?

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:39 pm

Look at established guide services that operate around Squaw Creek NWR during that time frame. The first and second weeks of March are always a gamble. That is usually the time frame where the birds make a big push into SD, so the outfitters have to gamble...move north to stay in the masses, or stay south a little longer and hope for juvy grinds.
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby kt_habo24 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:02 pm

alrighty. that looks like about the area one of my friends last year went in mound city Missouri. Thanks for the advise
kt_habo24
Newb

Postby handyandy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:38 pm

there are tons of guides in that area some good and fair priced. Some are really expensive and really good. Some are cheaper but suck, some may be cheap and good. You have to be careful lots of guys with one field that they set up 20 dozen or so sillocks that snows may fly over but never use and take five to ten at a time to it. Some of them only stay in that area others follow the birds north just depends. Do some research there is no shortage of so called guides around there but a only a few that are really legit. I've never used a guide there just from Missouri and have hunted snows there usually stayed away from squaw creek area though cause there were so many guides it made it hard to get permission to hunt fields. That time frame as it has been stated already is a gamble on what area to go with cause the weather is ultimately what determines where the masses will be. Like last year by the beginning of february when the spring season jut opened most of the birds were already up around that area cause the winter had been so warm. But then at the end of february it all of sudden got cold and dumped a bunch of snow locking them up around that area and pushing them back south of it. But depending on the winter typically that time is good around there or further north. Just know that sometimes the best price doesn't get you the best hunt, don't have your expectations to high because all those awesome videos of guides destroying birds and getting 100+ is probably only a handful of the hunts. Most days aren't like that those are the good days like any other hunting there are good and bad days. When you go don't be afraid to do some hunting of your own knock on doors you never know you may come across a field holding tons of birds you can jump. Some of my best days were from just crawling forever and jumping birds.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby bluegoose18 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Go to squaw area or southern sd areas in that time frame. But as mentioned above be careful of what guide you go with, if that's your plan? If not and you freelance door knocking and asking works great. Little wArning for ya . If you want to shoot snows you must plan on working your arse off ten times harder then you ever have before. Frozen ground pounding stakes wind changes do it all again. Some farmers say no trucks or wheelers in the fields others say go ahead. Rain snow makes mud. So two three sets of cloths is a must---- boots all that you have should go with!! If you ain't in to rolling in the cow crap and mud. U might as well stay home. But if you get a tornado it's all worth it :welcome: you have just been giving what's called the sickness
bluegoose18
hunter

Postby Trout&Duck » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:01 pm

I was thinking of doing something similar, only I would have to go during the first week of April, what state would it most likely be in at that time?
Trout&Duck
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:07 am

Trout&Duck wrote:I was thinking of doing something similar, only I would have to go during the first week of April, what state would it most likely be in at that time?

Northern SD or southern ND.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:56 pm

tornadochaser wrote:
Trout&Duck wrote:I was thinking of doing something similar, only I would have to go during the first week of April, what state would it most likely be in at that time?

Northern SD or southern ND.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

agreed and lots of guides and public hunting opportunity in the dakotas. Once again if going with a guide do some research book early like now if you wanna go this coming spring cause the good ones probably book up fast.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum