What would you suggest

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

What would you suggest

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:48 pm

I'm a youth hunter and would like to do some spring hunting I have currently 24 ghg 5/8s snows/blues and 25 ghg oversize specks. I've heard you can use less decoys if you do shells or fbs. Would you guys think a spread of about 350 to 400 snows/blues 5/8s shells with 13 specks and a dozen Canada fullbodies with a good e call work. If you think I can go smaller please say so ill be mostly putting the spread out and picking up myself. I'm located in central AR and will probably be hunting soy bean fields maybe rice. Any tips appreciated. I plan on this spread to be not be bought by my parents and plan on working to earn it. I also don't have a trailer for any of this so decoys need to be able to take a beating if you have a good suggestion.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Re: What would you suggest

Postby goosetalk » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:47 pm

With 350-400 shells, you are in good shape to shoot some geese. Now, if there is a group in the next field over with twice as many, then you may have problems. It will all depend on the pressure and bird numbers. I would not hesitate to deploy that spread. To help with time, don't put all of the shells on motion stakes. I only hunt over 600 socks. I'm not in a heavily pressured area, and we don't have a refuge with 100,000.00+ geese on it, but well enough. I would like to double my spread though :yes:
goosetalk
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:22 pm

goosetalk wrote:With 350-400 shells, you are in good shape to shoot some geese. Now, if there is a group in the next field over with twice as many, then you may have problems. It will all depend on the pressure and bird numbers. I would not hesitate to deploy that spread. To help with time, don't put all of the shells on motion stakes. I only hunt over 600 socks. I'm not in a heavily pressured area, and we don't have a refuge with 100,000.00+ geese on it, but well enough. I would like to double my spread though :yes:

What's the least you think I could get away with?
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:03 am

I have killed a few over a couple hundred rags, but that was lost singles and juvies behind the major push. If I was going to make a day of it, I would put them all out even if it just for my own confidence that I didn't make a mistake by only deploying half of them. I use to do a lot of solo canada and snow goose hunting when I was younger and it was hard work, but awesome when things worked out. I also use to hide decoys in the field when possible, well after dark so no one could see what I was doing. This was only done at spots where there was a ditch or heavy brush. I would pile them up, through camo burlap over them, and then brush them in.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Guess I'm gonna be buying more decoys lol atleast it's better them what some kids my age are buying now a days
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 am

If you are going to buy more decoys, I would by econ silosocks or other types of "socks" 3 guys can carry all 50 doz in 3 cube bags in one trip. Best thing if you are mobile or have to pick up every day.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Yep, what goosetalk says is right.

Just go out with what you have, don't overdo the spread if you're one guy, you'll kill yourself trying to move 'em all. Just put out what you can and see how it goes... i've had geese come in with only a dozen shells out but like goosetalk said if you're competing with a huge flock of geese nearby... you'll really need to make it look like your field is the spot to be. Just play around with it, add more as you can afford to, and in a few seasons you'll be a pro. One rule everyone forgets, is if it takes you 30 minutes to set up the decoys you should be spending a hour at hiding yourself, the geese wont give a crap about your decoys if they can see yer head sticking out from a mile away.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:28 pm

Good advice here I use to live missouri where I actually had snows to hunt here in indiana now not so much. A few years ago when I got into snows I bought a big lot used carry lite shells which weren't bad decoys and I got a good deal on them so I'm not complaining. But I had 27 dozen shells it was a pain to get them in fields so it made it a pain to move around. After having shells for the majority of spread and hunting with guys that use mostly sillosocks or similar things I'd go with socks for the mobility. Having the ability to move easily to where the birds wanna go is go is going to get you more birds than a perfect spread in the wrong spot cause you don't wanna move it. Since I've moved from missouri I sold my shells I plan on starting to buy sillosocks and painting them as time progresses as I still plan on going to mo to my old spots for a snow goose hunt each year. Plus you get more decoys for your money with socks. All my shells took me four trips to get them all in or out of a field on my own and it was work I'm talking big loads dragging carry bags and dragging some if I had socks I could have done it two much easier trips.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:00 pm

The places ill be hunting I can now take my 4-wheeler(possibility of getting a ranger soon) out to so Ill prob just use a trailer. Thanks for all the advice. I think im still going to go the shell route and just use some big seed bags. I don't want to sound like the punk kid who thinks he knows it all but I was able to get access to some more fields this youth season where the geese have hit in years past. Next question would a flex tone echo hd work for spring geese. I have a 20 snow shells to go along with it with some specks. Also may pick up some texas rags.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby lsuengineer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:14 pm

I'd buy economy sillosocks. the size spread of shells you're talking about is going to cost a whole lot more than you NEED to kill snow geese.

SS a lot easier to haul and put out as well
lsuengineer
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:50 am

lsuengineer wrote:I'd buy economy sillosocks. the size spread of shells you're talking about is going to cost a whole lot more than you NEED to kill snow geese.

SS a lot easier to haul and put out as well

So do you think I could get away with 100 snows? and do you know anything about a flex tone HD im thinking of getting one and using temporaily?
ARduckboy24
hunter

Postby handyandy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:16 am

make a e caller using a old car stereo amp it's easy. Just power the amp from 12 volt battery it doesn't need to be a big amp then use a cord I forget what its called exactly but it has a red and white plug that you can put in the amp input then goes to a head phone jack which you can plug into a mp3 player ipod or phone. I use a two dollar snow goose e caller app on my phone through a old car stereo amp I had lying around and some three old outdoor loud speakers two of which I had already from a old security system I took down for someone and another I bought at radio shack.

this is the cord I'm talking about allows you to plug right into a amp input and run whatever you want through it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... ZZJEMQRZJZ

this is sorta loud speaker I run I just spray painted them tan and brown

http://www.amazon.com/Nippon-Indoor-Out ... d+speakers

here is a cheap amp as well

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMPA35-2-Ch ... =amplifier

you don't have to use these but they would work well and a e caller is a lot better than a mouth call although they are both good to have and good use at the same time. I'd go with sillosocks over rags or shells they are the best bang for buck for how they look. Get the econo ones and assemble them yourself and paint them your self. You can pack in a lot more a lot more easily and you can buy more cause a hundred decoys could work if you are on the exact spot they want to go but more is better.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:58 pm

handyandy wrote:make a e caller using a old car stereo amp it's easy. Just power the amp from 12 volt battery it doesn't need to be a big amp then use a cord I forget what its called exactly but it has a red and white plug that you can put in the amp input then goes to a head phone jack which you can plug into a mp3 player ipod or phone. I use a two dollar snow goose e caller app on my phone through a old car stereo amp I had lying around and some three old outdoor loud speakers two of which I had already from a old security system I took down for someone and another I bought at radio shack.

X2

That is exactly what I run. cost = zero + 5 bucks for downloaded snow goose tracks.

I use my deep cycle battery from my trolling motor, but you can use any 12v.. the lawn tractor batteries are nice and light, and they'll run for at least 4 -5 hours.

You can get creative with the packaging too... I see a lot of guys box em in cheap walmart tool boxes.. but i just stuff everything in a backpack, and drop the batt off with the truck.

You can even use the built in amp from old tape deck car radios... plus side to this is it gets radio and plays all your old favs on cassette too! My first e-caller was built with tape deck from an old buick. Most scrap yards will give you the tape deck for like 5$ as no one will ever be looking for them anymore. You'll have to open it all up and hot wire an aux line into the amp, I just patched it in to the tape line as no one really has any tapes lying around.. just dont play a tape and try to play the calls at the same time...gets real weird. and you'll also have to make sure it's on the tape setting, maybe even with the tape deck pushed down.

If you get one with an equalizer even better as you can really block out the bass and up the treble.. something the car amps are terrible for.. they're all filtered to have serious bass which is bad for e-callers. You can adjust em to a degree. If you're even a little bit tech-savvy you could get plans online for a simple amp and set up the filters to play the mid to high end a bit better...probably do it for under 15$. there's a lot of frequency in a real goose call that we don't even hear, so an amp that's tuned to a goose would make more sense than an amp tuned to blast gangsta rap. I'll have to add that to my list of things to do...

Good luck

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum