Bad Shooting

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Bad Shooting

Postby p8riot » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:52 pm

A few years ago, my wife and I were at our campsight on Chincoteague Island in Virginia. This was approximately one week before Thanksgiving and right at the peak of the Snow Goose migration that year.

That morning we were leaving to drive to Ocean City, MD for a little side trip when we noticed the field across the road from us was absolutely white with Snows (I would estimate a couple thousand). There was a small hunting party consisting of two shooters and another guy with a dog. The shooters took up position at the edge of the field near the tree line about 20yds from the geese, and the guy with the dog was on the other side of the geese from his buddies. He turns the dog loose and flushes the geese toward the shooters, and they all take flight. The wing sounds almost drowned out the sounds of the guns, but not a single bird dropped.
p8riot
hunter

My buddy is like that.

Postby pyle30 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:05 pm

Here in Iowa we get a few big bursts in the migration of ducks but not that great. My buddy i took out with me in my boat for the first time hunting out of a boat. He was talkin all morning about how great a shot he was and stuff like that. Morning came and shooting time was here a lone hen malard came in and i told him to pop it. He unloaded on it missing all shots i luckily poped up and mad about a 50-60 yard shot to drop the thing. that is about the way the whole day went with him.

The next week he went phesant hunting with me and another guy. I was stuck in the far end with my dog flushing all the birds to the other guys who missed all shots fired. I need to find some new hunting buddies dont you think.
Without hunting the fall and winter would just be football.
pyle30
hunter

Postby p8riot » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:12 pm

Either that or let them run the dogs while you take all the shots.
p8riot
hunter

Postby Chris_Hustad » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:28 am

Now here's the question of the day....

Is that called hunting or called shooting?
Chris_Hustad
Site Admin

Postby p8riot » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:33 am

Chris Hustad wrote:Now here's the question of the day....

Is that called hunting or called shooting?

I don't think it qualifies as either.

Where in NoDak are you?. My Bro-in-law is in Minot.
p8riot
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:47 pm

haha :laughing: I was hunting near Eagle lake with an outfitter and a small hunting party of about five guys. We had snows all morning with good luck, then we had one only one huge canadian come into the spread, but not on my side. Two guys with autos 3 shots each emptied out with not even grazing the thing. I mean it was bad, this goose was near hovering over the spread. Noobs I guess. :laughing:
texan68
hunter

Postby p8riot » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:02 pm

I've got a small horse farm (7.5 acres) here in Virginia. I plant about a half acre in corn every year, great for shootin Canadas. The small plot keeps em close in too. They're here about year around now.
p8riot
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum