Duck Hunting Forum banner

snow goose decoys

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  dukgtr187 
#1 ·
im new to decoying snows and i usually hunt alone or with one maybe two other guys. im trying to get a spread together and obviously cant afford a huge spread of full bodies. how do sillouhettes work on these birds. i can make a few hundred for cheap that look good, im fairly artistic. ive carved out a couple dozen full bodies from foam to go with em. Im not expecting to kill tons of birds but id much rather shoot a few decoying rather than shoot 200 ditch crawling the way i have been doing it... any feedback is appreciated.

#2 ·
Well... this is a question we all spend hours thinking about. The truth is... in my experience everything has to come together at once to make decoying geese commit. Obviously if you can get full bodies out there it'll do better than silo's... but you also have to throw in some movement, but maybe too much at the wrong time, too little... ?? Usually more movement means more feeding... which is a good reason geese will commit. But other times they might just be looking to rest and not interested in fighting for a spot in the field. Most importantly you have to make yourself invisible.

I've had geese commit to landing with zero decoys, 12 decoys... 200 decoys. you'll find what works in your area. One thing is for sure if there is a flock of 1000 in the next field... you'll do better to have 1001 decoys. Best thing would be to get set up in the field they've been using, with no decoys and wait for 'em to show up.

Depending where you are on the flyway the geese learn as they migrate, to stay away from any unusual situations.. like 2 dozen silo's in a field across the road from two thousand feeding snows. But like anything else.. somedays it just works. Keep at it... try everything, and move from field to field until you find your spot.

Mugz

#3 ·
a mixture of sillos and sillo socks can work well you don't have to have full bodies.

#4 ·
I've used Texas rags a long time, and I don't think you can beat them for price and portability. Sillosox if you got a little cash to spend. Trouble with silhouettes in my opinion is that in the numbers you might want for snows, they'd be bulkier than rags, wobble in the wind, where the rags (as windsocks) move more like a goose feeding and are 3d. We use silhouettes to stretch our Canada spread, but were using only a few dozen with some full bodies. That said, I applaud anybody who makes their own decoys. It is always just a little more rewarding to shoot geese over your DIY dekes, or call em in with a call you made yourself. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.