Are They Needed?

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Are They Needed?

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:36 am

Hi. im heaed to upstate ny first week of march to do some goose hunting around the finder lakes. my friend who lives up there is seeing snows now and has had about 200 feeding in the corn behind his house. all i have is 2 dozen GHG fullbody fully flocked honkers and 2 dozen honker shells. He had 1 dozen ghg prograde honkers, 1 dozen old shell, and 2 dozen silos. can we kill snows running a spread consisting of 3 dozen full body canadas,3 dozen canada shells, and 2 dozen canada silos?
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter

Re: Are They Needed?

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:24 pm

If they're using the field you're going to hunt, and they're there on a daily basis the dekes might put them off. You could do fine without them and just pass shoot As you don't have a ton of them I would first try without them, and then if they don't seem to come in range, run out there and set them decoys up and try again! Try one day with and one day without, place them near and then try them further away. I think you get my point here.

One decoy is enough, it's just not always enough, and sometimes one is too many, and too many is enough the other times.

Be sure to send the snows you don't shoot to the north east from the fingers... I'm waiting for them!

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby tangodown » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Lay out low profile in the field they are feeding in without decoys. You already have them coming to the field. The hard part is over.
tangodown
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 am

Use the two dz snow silos as the 200 snows using the field dpn't come all at once but come in family group flocks you would be good for three flocks, if you scout the X correctly and wear all white and don't move and let them circle a bit.
on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby clymerfowler » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:41 am

well no thats it. we don't have any snow decoys. im thinking about painting a couple of my old pro grade honkers into snows
Pigeons-201
woodchucks-33
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:31 am

Ah yea... somehow thought you had snow decoys. Up here in the spring we are not allowed to hunt with anything other than snow/blue decoys. Not sure what your rules are down there.... if you don't want to paint them.. stick the bodies in white bags, gym socks over the heads... paint details on that.

In my experience in the fall, snows don't come too close when I'm hunting Canada's... but then again stranger things have happened.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum