snow goose strategy, newbie question

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

snow goose strategy, newbie question

Postby harvey1b » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:22 am

I am an experienced upland bird hunter but a new waterfowler and am trying to learn as much as possible.

This past weekend I went on a guided snow goose hunt in Delaware. The reason we went on a guided hunt was to learn from more experienced goose hunters. We probably saw up to 200,000 birds. It was spectacular. Our guide put us in the thick of them, we had a nice spread in the middle of a cut bean field, and things were looking good. The sun came up and birds started moving. They were lined up in 50-100 goose waves, 20-30 waves deep, coming right towards our deeks. I was shaking, it was amazing. To my surprise, and to the surprise of all of us hunting actually, the guide called the first 2 shots when the first group was ~60 yards away. This scattered the entire flock, and after it happened twice the rest of the day we only got a few pairs and singles to come in and take a look.

My questions are directed to you experienced types out there. Would there have been a better way to go about this? I would have expected the guide to let the first group land, or try, or at least wait until they were around 20yds away. I would think with 50-200 live geese in the deeks they would attract more. Any ideas or comments would be really appreciated. Also, I know the deek set up for Canada's is different, but would you want to let Canada's land in the deeks? How about ducks? Finally, does anyone know of a good reference(s) for learning strategies, calling techniques, etc?

Thanks,
Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:54 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby harvey1b » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:23 pm

thanks for the response. that's really helpful. I have a bunch more questions:

does the U open up facing into the wind or facing with the wind? will the geese want to land in the middle of the U or beyond it? where do you sit if you are using an X? i have seen those chairs that are covered with a huge decoy. Any thoughts on those? As for Canada's and ducks, I don't know how to call very well, but I have a few calls I use sparingly. How do you learn to call and not sound like an idiot? Is there a good guide or is it just something you learn with time?
harvey1b
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:40 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Admin2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:15 am

From my experience, it is not wise to skybust the first flock, often it is better to let the first full flock to pass on bu high over heaqd an land upwind of you a 1/2 -1 mile away is ideal, then the other flocks will make like a beel line over your doeys spread and thus a much better chance to have decoying flocks in close in this situation.

Snows are NOT Canadas in any respect as they are a lot smarter and come in much larger flaocks.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum