Duck Hunting Forum banner

Finally did it

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mugzwump 
#1 ·
We've been talking about chasing the snows for a couple years now. We finally pulled the trigger and had some nice results. I think it was more gratifying for us because of all the personal work we did. I made an e-caller and all our decoys are econo sillosocks. We put a lot of miles on and the results were very gratifying. I'm completely hooked now.

See less See more
#3 ·
That is one badazz looking dog. Oh, and nice tailgate carnage as well :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Mugzwump said:
Awesome! How many silo's is that? I'm running about 250 socks and bodys, thinking about investing a few more into my spread.

Mugz.
There are about 1000 in that picture. A friend of mine already had a start on it, but we put together 4 sillosock econo packs for this season. 3 were done with 2 guys in 3 nights.

#7 ·
fowlhunter said:
Mugzwump said:
Awesome! How many silo's is that? I'm running about 250 socks and bodys, thinking about investing a few more into my spread.

Mugz.
There are about 1000 in that picture. A friend of mine already had a start on it, but we put together 4 sillosock econo packs for this season. 3 were done with 2 guys in 3 nights.
That's wicked... I want to get the guys together to get up to that many decoys... but they seem happy with the numbers we have now... I know we'll pull more birds in with a spread like yours. You use all socks or do you have full bodies too?

I'm also replacing the speakers on my e-caller... I was using some re-purposed siren horns but they all blew and i'm down to one that sounds like it may have a squirrel living in it... very annoying to listen to all day.

What horns did you use? I'm running a car amp and mp3 player.

Thanks,

Mugz.

#8 ·
We are running all socks right now. We have talked about eventually adding full bodies, but that's a ways down the road. It definitely helps having like minded hunting partners. Not everyone I hunt with is willing to put in the work that it has taken to get here (and there is still a long ways to go).

I poor boyed the ecaller. I'm using a 300w amp I had laying around from my high school days. The speakers are cheap indoor/outdoor power horns of amazon, and the mp3 is a $30 scandisk from radio shack. I actually dropped the dang thing and broke the box, so I'm the look out for another.

We still haven't found that grinder day. I'm hoping this weekend is it. With it warming up, there won't be many days left this season.

#9 ·
fowlhunter said:
We are running all socks right now. We have talked about eventually adding full bodies, but that's a ways down the road. It definitely helps having like minded hunting partners. Not everyone I hunt with is willing to put in the work that it has taken to get here (and there is still a long ways to go).

I poor boyed the ecaller. I'm using a 300w amp I had laying around from my high school days. The speakers are cheap indoor/outdoor power horns of amazon, and the mp3 is a $30 scandisk from radio shack. I actually dropped the dang thing and broke the box, so I'm the look out for another.

We still haven't found that grinder day. I'm hoping this weekend is it. With it warming up, there won't be many days left this season.
Yep.. that sounds a lot like my own work on the e-caller. My amp is a 120w dual channel thing. I played around with it till it sounded right. I have a 450w amp as well, not sure if that would do any better.. it's a much better quality amp, but it's also 4 times the weight. I should try them side by side one day.

Mugz.

#10 ·
We went out Saturday and froze our butts off. We shot 14, but that was the extent of it.

We also found a killer deal on some deadlies. So our spread jumped 15 doz for this weekend.

Sorry, I'm a little picture happy.

#12 ·
Ya enough with those pictures already... still 4 feet of snow here and yer killing meeee....

Just kiddin'. Pretty wicked man... 14 birds for a day ain't bad at all. Better than zero... cuz that's what I got that very same day.

Lol... maybe in 3 weeks, I'll be counting the dead.

Mugz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.