Duck Hunting Forum banner

Oregon's Late season Speck and Snow hunt

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  tealdog 
#1 ·
This was a brand new ranch for me about a thousand acres counting the lake and it took a couple days to find the sweet spots and pattern the birds.
they have one spot they want to be when the wind is above 15-20 mph and another when it's calm - 10mph or so .
In a three day window I had to deal with driving rain , hail , and 25-30 mph winds , then back to sunny and calm.
The ground got so muddy we couldn't get the trailer out of one of the fields.
I really enjoyed the challenge .
The second day was the best , we lost or wind on the last morning , I Finished up yesterday and know what I need to do next year.
The birds we got worked text book perfect , hard locked and feet down , most of the shots were 15 to 20 feet off the ground.
I went up to shoot specks and didn't expect the snows to be so thick .
I only took enough snow decoys to hide the blinds and it wasn't enough to get to many of the large groups interested although a couple did and it was very cool.
Next year I will be ready for both variety's and a modest number of Ross geese as well.
I found out the ranch had been hunted 3 days prior to our arrival and you could tell the birds were leary.
The owners assured us that it won't happen next year and the ranch should be fresh.
It was a great way to end the season with my grandson.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.