Spring Hunt in NY.

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Spring Hunt in NY.

Postby eGrant51 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:56 am

I just signed up for a guided hunt in the Finger Lakes area. Has anyone seen any birds in the area? This is my first guided hunt and am hoping that by the 20th there are birds heading north. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Re: Spring Hunt in NY.

Postby jeepman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:58 am

I wouldn't hold your breath. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think the migration is going to be really late because there is no open water for them to roost.
jeepman
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:21 am

We went on the NY snow goose hunt. There were several thousand birds in the area. It was very windy and while we saw a lot of geese, we only shot 3. I think that the migration is just getting started, and it was a lot of fun even as it was. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:12 pm

wow, I am shocked there were that many birds. I haven't seen one snow here yet. I'm glad to see you at least saw birds.
jeepman
hunter

Postby Smokum870 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:57 pm

Heading to plattsburgh with frontier waterfowl next Wednesday the 26th hunting the 27,28,29. Worried with the few inches of snow coming saturday. Any of you guys think they'll be there by then?
Duck Count:
Geese-2
Blacks-6
Mallards-5
Teal-12
Woodies-2
Scaup-3
Ringnecks-6
Smokum870
hunter

Postby jeepman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:43 am

There's like 6 inches of crusty snow in the fields right now and Champlain is still almost completely frozen over. I've seen a few guides with decoys out, but I don't think they are doing very well. There just isn't anywhere with water for them to roost up here right now. I was in Albany on Thursday for a Veterans Summit, and the weather was night and day compared to up here. As for the snow though I wouldn't worry about that as much as if the birds are in the area. Just try to stay in touch with the guide.
jeepman
hunter

Postby deerbarn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:29 pm

Smokum, When you return from your hunt let me in on how the geese were doing and your hunt with Matt at frontier guide service, We are headed that way the 1st and secound of April to hunt with them, I hope ya did well.
deerbarn
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 am

Hey guys,

I just got back from a hunt in the Finger Lakes Region. We saw at least 200,000 canadas and snows, but we only shot five. It was an awesome experience even though we only shot one bird apiece. Of course there were two fields on the opposite ends of where we were and the snows were dropping in there by the thousands.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby deerbarn » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Hey wood duck, Were you folks hunting over decoys or jump shooting, We are headed up to Champlain the 1st and secound to hunt with Frontier Guide outfitters, Sounds like the geese are finally moving. Your thoughts. Thanks
deerbarn
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:23 am

I am told they have room for more hunters this weekend. I was with DOA. It is cold right now but finally supposed to warm up over the weekend. I am working and can not make it back. eGrant
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Postby woodduck14 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:03 am

deerbarn- we were over about 1,100 snow sock decoys.
The birds were definitely in the area, but they didn't want anything to do with the field we were in.
Don't tread on me.
woodduck14
hunter

Postby jdurf2014 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:30 pm

DEERBARN: Will you let me know how the snows are doing in that area and how your hunt goes?? I wish you good luck and good shooting. Some buddies and me are going up to hunt the Lake Champlain area this weekend 4/5/14 with Eastern View Outfitters.

Anyone else have reports of Plattsburgh NY/Lake Champlain area????

I saw several hundred snows here and there along 81 south of Preble and north of Homer. Some other friends have been seeing a lot of snows in finger lakes area but have been losing them to fields with like 3000 decoys when they only have about 700 decoys
jdurf2014
Newb

Postby Smokum870 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Just talked to Matt today to book my September Canada hunt with frontier. He said the birds are really stacking up now but they are really slick this year. Guess they had a 46 bird day this last week and the juvies are starting to push in. A group of guys that were Hu ting the blind directly across the road watched a flock of 15 or so juvies set into the spread from the house hahaha
Duck Count:
Geese-2
Blacks-6
Mallards-5
Teal-12
Woodies-2
Scaup-3
Ringnecks-6
Smokum870
hunter

Postby deerbarn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:29 pm

There were thousand apond thousands of geese flying every day, We did good and could have done beter if we could shoot, Guides were great, We can not get over how many snows and canadians were there, Couple of guys that were set with us were not doing as they were told and that cost us some shooting, We had one flock of over 30,000 birds fly over our spread, No bull, It was amazing and we did some fine flock shooting and the birds won out. Matt and the crew are great hard hunting folks. Good luck.
deerbarn
hunter

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum