Snow calling...

Snows, Blues, and Ross Geese. A snow goose hunting forum to discuss snow goose hunting tips and tactics.

Moderators: yellowlab, DUJUNKIE

Snow calling...

Postby Robberwood » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:34 pm

Alright so i finally decided to buy a snow call... I bought a basin abomintaion call (cause they make the best calls and i love their honker call) and its on its way. Any first time hints on using the bad boy? Have no clue how to blow it or anything. He is sending me a CD that goes through everything but just curious what hints you guys have! Thanks for any help! it is greatly appreciated!
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:26 am

I have not seen much less used the call mentioned above, so I really am no help. Each call has its own characteristics on how it best performs. Videos are always better--because hand positioning is often crucial to get the sounds you are after, and when you can see the hand positioning--it makes it easier to manipulate any call, not just Snow calls.

As for the Snow calls subject, I use several. On windy conditions or when they are way far off, I use Tim Grounds Snow call, it is super loud, but really more suited as a Speck call in my thinking than a Snow call. But it has the loudness that no other call has come close to, and does the job when loudness is needed. I use Haydels snow calls for the feeder "hohooohohooo" sounds, a great way for inexperienced hunters to partake--just doing the feeder call once they are within 200 yds. But my go to calls are Grounds Half Breeds which I have tuned to sound like an old Snow and a young Snow.

I know there are some newer calls on the market, but what I have works, so I have not felt the need to explore the newer stuff, thus I'm not saying they are bad or good, but I just do not know.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:43 pm

I have never bought a snow call, it has crossed my mind. But right now i just use my voice and that works well enough for me. And when you have 2 or 3 guys using there voice it sounds like a big flock of snows and blues. Might have to try one this season though.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Return to Snow Goose Hunting Forum