Goose Flute?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Goose Flute?

Postby murdocki » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:42 pm

I want to know what you guys think of goose flutes. I was thinking about buying on for this next session to get the low honks.
murdocki
hunter

Re: Goose Flute?

Postby NickK » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Goose flutes are a great way to get realistic sounds for a beginner. If your going to buy one, buy Sean Mann's Eastern Shoreman. Awesome, Awesome flute.
Nick
Love to duck hunt :)
NickK
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:42 am

Technically, the Eastern Shoreman is not a flute. I was in BPS a week ago or so and Scott Christopher, sells calls for Sean Mann, was in the store. We talked for about 45 mins; he's a great guy for sure. Anyway, the Eastern Shoreman is not a true flute.
I think flutes are cool...they give you a REALLY low gutty sound, but you can' do a whole lot with them. You pretty much get a moan, a cluck, and the honk, all at the same tone. Moving your hand position does'nt do NEARLY what it does on a short reed. While the guy behind me is right, the Eastern Shoreman is AMAZING (and yeah it does look like a flute), it's also $200. If you're just looking for that low low stuff, you probably don't need to spend so much.
Good luck this year!
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby forester11 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 am

I like them for all the reasons stated above, Big River makes a decent sounding one for under $30
forester11
hunter

Postby NickK » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:21 pm

I was actually talking about the lower priced Eastern Shoreman. NOT THE ACRYLIC CALL! I've never even blown an acrylic one. I think the one I am talking about is either poly carb, or delrin. It's an amazing sounding call for only $50.
Nick
Love to duck hunt :)
NickK
hunter

Postby murdocki » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:58 pm

The Eastern Shoreman was the one i was looking at. I have two really good short reeds but I really like the sound of a flute, I was thinking that it could be a good complement to my lanyard.
murdocki
hunter

Postby murdocki » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:56 am

murdocki
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 pm

I have killed alot of geese with a Foiles meat cutter flute.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby mccree79 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Tealer wrote:I have killed alot of geese with a Foiles meat cutter flute.

I bought a Meat Cutter for my dad. Pretty good call. He will only use flute calls. He carries the Meat Cutter and P.S. Olt flute in the field. You can't finds Olts anymore, but the Tim Grounds Guide's Best is close.
mccree79
hunter

Postby rpsank13 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:28 pm

a sean mann eastern shoreman an get up to 200 dollars but mine was only 50 dollars because it is polycarbonate and i think it has a great tone to it but i also dont think that it is a true flute but i would reccomend a 40 dollar tim grounds guides best which comes in acrylic for only 40 dollars but also i reccomend a flambeau big river game calls long honkeer flute those are my 2 top flutes in cluding the eastern shoreman
rpsank13
hunter

Postby noweil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 pm

I been blowing a Big River Long Honker call since 1989 and it has killed a lot of geese. I like a wood call but I recently saw camo long honkers for 17.00 and change at Farm and Fleet. I have owned Eastern Shoreman and I like the Big River better for my calling. You can buy a plastic HS flute from Wing Supply in the Closeout Closet for under 6.00 and they blow as good as some 40.00 plastic flutes. If you want an Eastern Shoreman I will sell you an Eastern Shoreman Express for 25.00 and shipping.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Justin Weber » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:29 am

You dont need a flute to get low honks. A short-reed will do you alot better if you get the hang of it. Alot of old timers may disagree but a short reed is more realistic IMO. What short reed are u blowing now?
Avery Pro-Staff
Justin Weber
hunter

Postby barrykeicks » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:05 am

old school.

a lot of birds were shot over a TG Guides Best back in the old timey days.
barrykeicks
hunter

Postby Old Hunter » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:37 pm

A flute sounds very nice with 2 other guys blowing short reeds. Its like playing in a band. More insturmants make it sound better. A flute sounds good blowing over water. I have not used mine for years but they still can be a good tool.
Old Hunter
hunter

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:41 am

The Shoreman is a flute!!! :hammer: I will stick by that. Best call in my opinion.
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter

Postby kjl845 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:17 pm

Eastern Shoreman in Maple has a awesome sound to it. Also the Foiles Meatcutter is a great flute, fast and loud along with the Guides Best. Flutes still have a place in the field even though short reeds are more popular.
kjl845
hunter

Postby goosewhisperer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:41 am

If the Shoreman isn't a flute, then what is it. Looks like, sounds like, and definitely feels like a flute. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and tastes like a duck...it sure isn't a horse. Just sayin....
Molt Gear Society Staff
Anatidae Wingshooting Adventures, LLC Pro-Staff
goosewhisperer
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:36 pm

The Eastern Shoreman is a flute.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:39 pm

I just sold my Shoreman. It was a wood call (rosewood I think) but for some reason it just wasn't loud enough for me. I have been using the same call for years,Big River, with great success. I can't tell you how many geese have fallen to that call. Get a Big River (wood). You will be calling in no time and save yourself 100.00 dollars or so. JMO...........
don novicki
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:44 pm

I would agree with what everyone said about it being a flute...I'm just telling you what what of Mann's salesman told me in a BPS.
Regardless of what it's called, it's a great call and it will kill geese.
Well, it will get them in range.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby ILwaterfowler15 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:11 pm

I've seen a lot of geese die as a result of a flute. It's all I've been using for the past 15 years or so and I don't see myself switching any time soon. The Eastern Shoreman is, in my opinion, the most realistic call out there.

BTW, any call can be low or high, it just depends on how you tune it.
ILwaterfowler15
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:12 am

I'm new to blowing a goose call and I started with a Sean Mann's poly Eastern Shoreman. I'm not the best caller but I have turned some be flocks of geese with it and took a decent amount geese with it this year especially for the area I hunt!
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Postby olt d2 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:48 am

I love my eastern shore man, To me its doesn't produce a "low" call a better word for the sound is "hollow" and over water it is flat out deadly! A lot of ppl say its not a "flute" because you can run it just like a short reed which is why i love it. If you ever meet someone that can blow a short reed very well and then drop it and grab a true flute and start in on it without missing a bet their GOOD! I also went back to it because its a sound geese haven't heard in my area for a long time. all geese hear now a days is the same old rapid fire, loud stage calling from every short reed "comp God". It's amazing what going back to the basics will do for you when birds get conditioned to fancy things.
olt d2
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum